Voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It will depend on the details, of course. Home Depot has a 50 ft string with 300 lamps. Each string pulls 24 watts and the instructions say 8 stings can be connected end to end,
At 192 total watts I doubt VD will be an issue. Of course your specs may be different.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Much depends on the gauge of the wire in the light string. At 400 feet (8 strings of 50 feet each), and at 192 watts (1.6 amps on a 120V circuit), and with #18 wire, I calculate the VD at 10.2 volts, or 8.5%. That would be high for most circuits. But for LEDs it would likely not be noticeable. If the wire size is #16, the VD is 6.4 volts, or 5.3%.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Much depends on the gauge of the wire in the light string. At 400 feet (8 strings of 50 feet each), and at 192 watts (1.6 amps on a 120V circuit), and with #18 wire, I calculate the VD at 10.2 volts, or 8.5%. That would be high for most circuits. But for LEDs it would likely not be noticeable. If the wire size is #16, the VD is 6.4 volts, or 5.3%.

I don't know about there but Christmas lights here are generally low voltage - maybe 12V. That would have a bearing on voltage drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.