Voltage Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
Can someone just refresh my memory about voltage drop.

I totally forgot how to calculate voltage drop for a 240v circuit.

2KiL/CM=VD for 120v circuits

Is this formula different for 240v? If so, can someone be clear on the different formula instead of referring me back to the code please?

The Iceman

Resistive methode for calculating voltage drop:
VD = 2 x L x R x I / 1000

Circular-Mil methode for calculating voltage drop:
VD = 2 x R x I / cm

Also see 210.19 FPN No. 4

480sparky

JohnDS said:
Thank you, so just to be sure, it doesn't matter whether it's 120 or 240, use this same formula?

Yes. You'll just need to know what 3% (or whatever number you require) of your operating voltage works out to be.

haskindm

Voltage does not really matter in a voltage drop calculation. The calculation is the same for 12-volts, 24-volts, 120-volts, 208-volts, 240-volts, or 24,000-volts. The number of phases matter and the higher the voltage, the more volts you can afford to "lose" (3% of 240-volts is more than 3% of 12-volts) but other than that, voltage is not a consideration.

Since this topic is fresh, I'm wondering what is the correct voltage to use in a 240/120 feeder to a sub-panel. 3% of 240 or 3% of 120.

It would seem that 240 V is not the correct voltage to use from a voltage drop standpoint. Depending on how the sub-panel was loaded, the 120 Volt loads could suffer.

I'm even seeing service entrance sizing based on the 240 volt values.

What's the correct way?

Does one use 240 V when no neutral is present in the load and 120 V, if it is?

Confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.