Voltage Imbalance Calculation Method with AVG/MIN/MAX Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

natfuelbill

Good Morning
I have a question on how to calculate voltage imbalance.

The data that have contains AVERAGE MINIMUM and MAXIMUM values for each of three phases, with records recorded one time per second.

I know the voltage imbalance percentage formula, and repeat it here:

Formula stating Voltage unbalance=100 x Max. deviation from average voltage/Average voltage

For example, if measured line voltages were 455, 460, and 492, the average would be 469 volts (455 + 460 + 492 = 1407 / 3 = 469). The maximum deviation from that average is 23 volts (492 - 469 = 23). To find the voltage unbalance, solve the equation for the average voltage and the maximum
voltage deviation: Formula stating Voltage unbalance=100 x (23/469) = 4.9%

My question is which voltage values should be used in the calculation.

I think that I should use the AVERAGE of all (AVGab +AVGbc + AVGca)/3, and the maximum deviation being the largest of the AVERAGE from each phase AVG. correct?

I should have mentioned that the average value recorded is not a simple average of the MIN and MAX values, but must be calculated during the one second before recording the value.

Last edited:

bob

natfuelbill said:
Good Morning
Formula stating Voltage unbalance=100 x Max. deviation from average voltage/Average voltage
My question is which voltage values should be used in the calculation.

I think that I should use the AVERAGE of all (AVGab +AVGbc + AVGca)/3, and the maximum deviation being the largest of the AVERAGE from each phase AVG. correct?
I have an old motor hand book by Allis-Chalmers that computes the
%voltage unbalance the way you have indicated. They use the average of the 3 phase to phase voltages as you suggest. Another interesting point brought out is the the increase in temperature rise in the motor is about
2 times the (% unbalanced)?.
Example: For an unbalance of 4%, the temp rise = 2(4)? = 32% increase in temperature for the phase affected by the unbalance.

Natfuelbilll

Is there a chart, table or formula that shows expected motor CURRENT imbalance based on the measured and calculated voltage imbalance?

I have heard that the current versus voltage imbalance can be around 5 to 1.

So if I had a 0.5% voltage imbalance that I might see a 2.5% current imbalance.

Correct?

bob

Natfuelbilll said:
Is there a chart, table or formula that shows expected motor CURRENT imbalance based on the measured and calculated voltage imbalance?

I have heard that the current versus voltage imbalance can be around 5 to 1.

So if I had a 0.5% voltage imbalance that I might see a 2.5% current imbalance.

Correct?

Voltage unbalance causes extremely high current unbalance. The magnitude of current unbalance may be 6 to 10 times as large as the voltage unbalance. For a motor, the line currents (at full-load with 2.5% voltage
unbalance) may be unbalanced by 25%.

Status
Not open for further replies.