voltage problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the community center in the town where I live, they have had a problem with lights flickering and have asked me to come and check it out for them. The system is 102/240 single phase.
What I have discovered on the flickering of the lights is that they have 150 volts going to them and then it drops to 130 volts so flickering was not the problem, but a voltage spike causing the lights to brighten and then dim. One leg to neutral I was getting 150 volts and the other leg 100 volts.
Thinking there was a problem coming from the power company I checked voltage on the line side of the meter with the meter pulled and was getting 250 volts phase to phase and 124 volts phase to neutral.
The building was built in 1970 and they have had jackleg electricians over the years doing work there, so I went back inside cut all breakers off and then cut one breaker on at a time trying to isolate the problem. What I discovered is that when anyone of the breakers was cut on, the voltage would go down to 100 volts on one leg and 150 volts up on the other leg for all breakers.
System was not grounded so I drove a ground rod and grounded the incoming neutral at the meter, no change. There are six fluorescent fixtures on one breaker so I used this a guinea pig and went to each fixture to see if where was a problem by removing one at a time, but there was no change when I cut the breaker back on. At this time I am puzzleheaded and not sure what the problem is. I was turning back on all the breakers that I had turned off and one breaker in particular that was for the refrigerator was turned on and a light that was already on brightened up giving me the 150 volts on the phase. I am not thinking there is a problem with the refrigerator, but I am thinking that the neutral coming from the power company is lose at the weather head or at the transformer where when checking voltage under no load I am getting good voltage readings, but when under a load is when there is a problem.
Has anyone ever experienced this problem before?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sounds like a loose neutral. You will read normal voltage with no load and under load the voltages will change between pahases to ground. I just had that issue the other day. Turn on a washing machine and voltage went from normal to 180v on one phase and 64 on the other.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I agree with Dennis and SG-1, but I have a suggestion. Check the voltage with the meter in. When you pulled the meter you removed any and all load. If the voltage is still the same with the meter in(120/240) as it was when it was out, then the problem is on the load side. I will bet the voltage will be as you described (100 on one leg, 150 on the other leg, and 240 between the two)when the meter is in and in use. (POCO problem)

Before you call, make sure to use the VOM to check the connections in the meterbase. The neutral connection behind the meter catches any water that may leak in, and the connections will corrode.

I see this often, sometimes in a leaky meter base(water coming in), or when a contractor, (sometimes our own lineman) fail to brush connections, or even something as simple as the connections are just old and weather worn.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Sounds like a loose neutral. You will read normal voltage with no load and under load the voltages will change between pahases to ground. I just had that issue the other day. Turn on a washing machine and voltage went from normal to 180v on one phase and 64 on the other.

I like to use a hairdryer to diagnose this. That way, I don't have to buy a new microwave (or washing machine) if it fries... ;)
We have a "Super Beast" at work. Excellent tool to have (for us anyway) http://www.arnettindustries.com/images/superbeast.pdf

voltage problem

Thank for the information everyone, I did check voltage with the meter back in at the panel and with the breakers off and I had 124/250 volts, only with a load was i getting the odd voltage. I did loosen the neutral at the meter base to install the ground but I did not try to clean it up or anything, it is a old services. I will try tomorrow to clean very thing on the neutral from the meter base to the panel on other side of the wall.

gar

Occupation
EE
111113-2245 EST

fbestelectric:

If at the kWh meter terminals the voltages change from being essentially balanced to unbalanced with a load on one leg to neutral, then the problem is in the neutral somewhere between the point where you measured the voltage back to the center tap point inside the transformer. A power company problem. Probably one of their outside connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.