voltage question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will a 3 phase service with a wild leg that is 240 volts leg to leg support a 3 phase 240 volt heater vs. a 3 phase service that is 208 volt leg to leg would not a support a 240 volt 3 phase heater. Unless listed for both voltages? The heater spec sheet says one model for a 3 phase 208 volt and another model for a 3 phase 240 volt.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I'm not understanding your question. Could the MFG be saying that the 10KW heater rated at 240V 3ph is only puts out 7.5KW at 208V 3ph?

ice

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Will a 3 phase service with a wild leg that is 240 volts leg to leg support a 3 phase 240 volt heater vs. a 3 phase service that is 208 volt leg to leg would not a support a 240 volt 3 phase heater. Unless listed for both voltages? The heater spec sheet says one model for a 3 phase 208 volt and another model for a 3 phase 240 volt.
Matt,If you are asking can you run a 240V rated heater (and I will assume an infrared heater, since I can) on a 208V system the answer would be yes. However, you will have to expect about a 60% of the heating energy versus its stated output. The real issue is what you stated in the specs....If the manufacturers specifications call for a specific system for the specific heater you have selected then you should install it in accordance with the manufacturers instructions. If I was doing this for a paying customer I would never try to put a 208V heater on their 240V system...but that's just me.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Matt,If you are asking can you run a 240V rated heater (and I will assume an infrared heater, since I can) on a 208V system the answer would be yes. However, you will have to expect about a 60% of the heating energy versus its stated output. ....

Really - How did you calculate that?

ice

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Really - How did you calculate that?

ice

well it is probably more than 60% but I was being lazy...

if the output was 100% at the rating of the unit at 240V then reducing the voltage to 208V only serves to reduce the potential output value....so it's more like 86% output due to the voltage difference. Hey....i have 3 glasses of wine in me...can't I be lazy. (even if I slighted him 26%)..:sick:

voltage question

I guess what I am saying is... If I have a 3 phase service in my shop and I have a wild leg but I am 240 volts leg to leg and I want to order some ceiling mount heaters that have blowers on them do I order the model that is 208 3 phase or a 240 volt 3 phase? I am assuming I need to order 240 volt 3 phase but I just want to be sure.

Thanks

gar

Occupation
EE
141108-2146 EST

Quite obviously you need to order the 240 V three phase heater. Your source is 240 V leg-to-leg.

If your source was 208 leg-to-leg, then you could put either a 208 or 240 V heater on it, if there was no motor. But with a fan as part of the package don't put a 240 on a 208 source.

A 240 V heater operated at 208 V will provide approximately (208/240)^2 = 0.75 of the rated power. P = V * I and heater resistance is approximately constant. From no current to normal full rating current a typical resistive heater resistance will increase about 10%. So from 208 V to 240 V the resistance will change considerably less than 10%.

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
141108-2146 EST

Quite obviously you need to order the 240 V three phase heater. Your source is 240 V leg-to-leg.

If your source was 208 leg-to-leg, then you could put either a 208 or 240 V heater on it, if there was no motor. But with a fan as part of the package don't put a 240 on a 208 source.

A 240 V heater operated at 208 V will provide approximately (208/240)^2 = 0.75 of the rated power. P = V * I and heater resistance is approximately constant. From no current to normal full rating current a typical resistive heater resistance will increase about 10%. So from 208 V to 240 V the resistance will change considerably less than 10%.

Glad math was not my specialty..:slaphead:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I guess what I am saying is... If I have a 3 phase service in my shop and I have a wild leg but I am 240 volts leg to leg and I want to order some ceiling mount heaters that have blowers on them do I order the model that is 208 3 phase or a 240 volt 3 phase? I am assuming I need to order 240 volt 3 phase but I just want to be sure.

Thanks

The voltage of the high leg doesn't figure into a three phase load; only the phase to phase voltages matter. The high leg is 208V referenced to the center tap between the other two phases, but a 240V three phase load doesn't connect to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.