Voltage Regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvramesh

Can someone explain me the problems with high impedance of the transformer. For example I have a 3-ph transformer 13.8kV/480V, 7.5% impedance. What problems in general may occur due to this high impedance?

Thanks

James@CHA

The impedance value will direclty affect the available fault current of the transformer.

I am not 100% certain, but i think the less impedance, the higher the fault current.

coulter

kvramesh said:
... For example I have a 3-ph transformer 13.8kV/480V, 7.5% impedance. What problems in general may occur due to this high impedance? ...
7.5% is pretty common for 1500 - 2000kva xfm. 5.75% is comon for 1000kvw. Assuming you have a 1500 - 2000kva xfm, I would not consider 7.5% high. In general, no problems.

carl

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Transformer impedance is very roughly a measure of the 'voltage drop' that is built into the transformer.

It is measured by applying a variable voltage to the primary, shorting the secondary, and then adjusting the primary voltage until nominal full secondary current flows. Since the output is shorted, it is at essentially _zero_ volts, so you get a measurement of the voltage needed to push full current through the transformer.

The aspect that gets confusing is that this voltage drop is predominantly inductive. If your load has a good power factor, then it won't 'see' most of this voltage drop. If your load is capacitive, then it might even see the voltage increase.

If the load is relatively constant, then transformer impedance will simply cause a constant offset in your supply voltage.

-Jon

Besoeker

James@CHA said:
The impedance value will direclty affect the available fault current of the transformer.

I am not 100% certain, but i think the less impedance, the higher the fault current.
That's correct and an important consideration for fault protection.

Besoeker

kvramesh said:
Can someone explain me the problems with high impedance of the transformer. For example I have a 3-ph transformer 13.8kV/480V, 7.5% impedance. What problems in general may occur due to this high impedance?

Thanks
One possible problem is that you would get more voltage distortion if your system has a significant ASD (variable speed drive) loading.

kvramesh

coulter said:
7.5% is pretty common for 1500 - 2000kva xfm. 5.75% is comon for 1000kvw. Assuming you have a 1500 - 2000kva xfm, I would not consider 7.5% high. In general, no problems.

carl

I'm concerned about the voltage regulation to the motors...isnt that going to be really bad. the secondary voltage at full load will be much lower than 480V due to this 7.5% impedance.

what % of voltage drops are allowed from tranfo ->LV Switchgear ->MCC ->motor according to ANSI? red book is little confusing to me

coulter

kvramesh said:
I'm concerned about the voltage regulation to the motors...isnt that going to be really bad. the secondary voltage at full load will be much lower than 480V due to this 7.5% impedance.
You are focused on just one piece of the system. You haven't given us much information about the rest system. You will need to look at the rest of the xfm data, motor sizes, kva load, feeder sizes, feedr lengths, might even have to call the mfg and get the xfm X/R ratio. You have a whole system to look at.

Your concern is voltage regulation, so sketch out the system, put in the known data, calculate the Vd out to the motors of concern. Could be the feeders cause more Vd that the xfm. To understand, you will need a vector diagram for the xfm and maybe the feeders as well. Chapter 9(?) of the NEC has a pretty good section on the feeder Vd out to normal industrial loads.

Transformer impedance is just one piece. Just because it is 7.5%Z doesn't mean it's bad. I have seen 2%Z and 12%Z. They all have their purpose.

kvramesh said:
...what % of voltage drops are allowed from tranfo ->LV Switchgear ->MCC ->motor according to ANSI? ...
I don't know what ANSI says. You may have to dig out the Specs and read them.

Most 480V motors are rated at 460V. Generally running 5% low (440V)doesn't hurt anything. But that could depend on your loadiing. A motor loaded right up into the service factor could easily run hot if the voltage is low

kvramesh said:
...red book is little confusing to me
Yeah, that is a problem - takes me additional research sometimes. Get some more books, talk to your senior engineers, might consider looking into some seminars. Even after 35 years I try to go to school every year on something.

carl

Besoeker

kvramesh said:
The voltage regulation for any given kW loading will depend on load power factor.
Run at max current (thus max kVA) with a 0.8 pf and you might expect regulation of around 5.6%.

Correct the same kW load to say, 0.95 pf and of course you reduce current and kVA. The regulation would then be about 3.4%.

At max kVA rating and 0.95 pf, the regulation would be about 4%.

A little aside:
In UK the standard LV distribution used to be 415/240 ? 6%.
In order to "harmonise" with Europe the nominal voltages were changed to 400/230, supposedly a a compromise between Continental European 220V and UK 240V. It was purely a beaurocratic fudge. Nobody actually did anything about it. Except that the rules on tolerances were altered to accommodate the fudge. Brilliant waste of time. Rant over.

Don't know if this helps. It's about supply tolerances but connected equipment would generally be designed to work with those tolerances.

http://users.metro2000.net/~purwinc/seec2_2.htm
2.2.2 North America

ANSI C84.1 "Electric Power Systems and Equipment - Voltage Ratings (60 Hz) sets the preferred nominal voltage at 120V and allows a range of 114 - 126V (240V nominal, range 228 - 252V). Equivalent Canadian spec is CAN3-C235.

Voltage at a 120 volt nominal single phase receptacle should be 110 to 125V under normal conditions.

However, the California Public Utilities Commission has specified that the service voltage shall be kept in the range 114-120V, with some exceptions. This was done because some studies showed a reduction in energy consumption at the lower voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.