Voltage spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LincHawk

I have a customer that has a robot that operates at 480v 30A 3ph and they are getting spikes in voltages to around 504v at times on the incoming power from the main panel. Any recommendations for something to keep the voltage around 480v? I was thinking about a step down transformer 480v - 460v? Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I'm with @Hv&Lv but would add whether it is a delta source (which might cause problems) or wye? IF, a BIG IF, you really need to drop the voltage, you have 2 better possibilities; a buck-boost or if lucky, a tap change.

LincHawk

When it gets that high it shuts the robot off. They said the voltage would be good down near 460v so I was thinking about a delta delta 480 - 460 step down trans.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I'm going to let the real electricians get in here, not a retired engineer type, but in almost all cases, I'd recommend a wye to the robot.

WHAT IS THE SOURCE, the or delta. If wye, I'd 99% go with buck-boost or tap change before buying another heat producing transformer.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
When it gets that high it shuts the robot off. They said the voltage would be good down near 460v so I was thinking about a delta delta 480 - 460 step down trans.

If you used a delta-delta, you would have to either run the secondary ungrounded or corner grounded, either of which might cause problems for the robot.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
I have a customer that has a robot that operates at 480v 30A 3ph and they are getting spikes in voltages to around 504v at times on the incoming power from the main panel. Any recommendations for something to keep the voltage around 480v? I was thinking about a step down transformer 480v - 460v? Any other ideas?

What about a couple of MOV's?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
505 although on the higher end is not terrible.
Better than low voltage issues.
The rise in voltage may be due to other loads in the plant that are cycling on and off rather than an actual spike.
With a threshold as low as 460 I'd be lookin to Buck it.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.