Voltmeter Live-Dead-Live Test box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntsec

Currently my electricians perform a live dead live zero energy check prior to beginning work. This test may be performed several times a day. Both of the Live tests are typically performed at a 120VAC Convenience Outlet. It can be difficult at times to make a reliable, solid connection with test leads. Does anyone manufacture a potable test box to assist in performing the live portion?

Besoeker

It would not be real hard to make such a thing with a plug in cord and a couple of banana jacks.
Or maybe just a little plug in table lamp?

Or one of these little fellows on a plug and cord:

They cost us about a dollar and a half each....

mgookin

It would not be real hard to make such a thing with a plug in cord and a couple of banana jacks.

I'd be real careful about that if employees are going to be using it. Someone gets hurt and OSHA will have a field day with it.

I like the lamp suggestion better, but that does not tell you the voltage.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I'd be real careful about that if employees are going to be using it. Someone gets hurt and OSHA will have a field day with it.

Why would you say that? It would certainly be substantially safer than having them plug into the wall outlet directly?

I having a light is not a bad idea.

Besoeker

I like the lamp suggestion better, but that does not tell you the voltage.
True. But it tells you if it is live.
The image I posted with the wee indicators is LED cluster lamps. Of course they can fail though I have no experience of any doing so. With a 30,000 life and just using them for test purposes failure seems remote in a lifetime.
But you can't rule out the possibility. So stick a couple in parallel. They are tolerant of wide voltage variations so the probability of both failing at the same instant without giving any indication is vanishingly remote.
And, of course, you'd check if they were operational immediately prior to depending on them for the test.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
And, of course, you'd check if they were operational immediately prior to depending on them for the test.
If you are doing an actual Live-Dead-Live test as mentioned in the thread title, that operational check will be automatic, unless you are worried about the maximum voltage threshold for an Off indication having changed.

mr gaget

mr gaget

had to do voltage checks at work, had to install recording voltmeters to do the test sometimes had to adjust the pen arm to in coming voltage the meter had test lead jacks but using test leads were a pain, cut probes from test leads installed 15amp cord cap no problems with probes any more.

eHunter

Currently my electricians perform a live dead live zero energy check prior to beginning work. This test may be performed several times a day. Both of the Live tests are typically performed at a 120VAC Convenience Outlet. It can be difficult at times to make a reliable, solid connection with test leads. Does anyone manufacture a potable test box to assist in performing the live portion?

Here is a commercially available L-D-L verifier.

http://www.wmwt.com/our-products/live-dead-live-verifier-ldl-1200/

http://www.google.com/patents/US7385519

Sahib

tntsec:

Your apprehension is justified: a short in the measuring instrument and high system fault level can cause catastrophic result.

I do not want to mislead you.

So I want to suggest you to use a category rated measuring instrument for your purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.