WAC Citation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke E

I've been issued a Washington State citation under 19.28.101 RCW

"Failing to request an inspection within 3 business days after completion of the installation or 1 business day after energizing, whichever occurs first as referenced in WAC 296-46B900(10)(a)"

I'm a bit confused and quite frankly a bit shaken up by this citation.

The installation involves several pieces of equipment which presently aren't even on site. They are to be hardwired. Cover inspection was just last week. The citation was issued during a courtesy stop prior to cover inspection. The inspector noted one 120 volt outlet that is part of the assembly was live.
To add to the insult, the live receptacle was the end result of the contractor asking me to remove an existing (unsafe) powerpole and relocate it's receptacle into the ceiling.

Any opinions on interpretations of this citation and whether or not it is likely to be dropped on appeal are appreciated.

SEO

I would explain to the inspector what you have stated in your post. It seems that the citation is a little harsh. And this was a courtesy stop?

resistance

I've been issued a Washington State citation under 19.28.101 RCW

"Failing to request an inspection within 3 business days after completion of the installation or 1 business day after energizing, whichever occurs first as referenced in WAC 296-46B900(10)(a)"

I'm a bit confused and quite frankly a bit shaken up by this citation.

The installation involves several pieces of equipment which presently aren't even on site. They are to be hardwired. Cover inspection was just last week. The citation was issued during a courtesy stop prior to cover inspection. The inspector noted one 120 volt outlet that is part of the assembly was live.
To add to the insult, the live receptacle was the end result of the contractor asking me to remove an existing (unsafe) powerpole and relocate it's receptacle into the ceiling.

Any opinions on interpretations of this citation and whether or not it is likely to be dropped on appeal are appreciated.
(69) "Under the control of a utility" for the purposes of RCW 19.28.091 and 19.28.101 is when electrical equipment is
not owned by a utility and:
(a) Is located in a vault, room, closet, or similar enclosure that is secured by a lock or seal so that access is
restricted to the utility's personnel; or
(b) The utility is obligated by contract to maintain the equipment and the contract provides that access to the
equipment is restricted to the utility's personnel or other qualified personnel.

Then:
(5) Persons, firms, partnerships, corporations, or other entities making electrical installations shall obtain inspection and approval from an authorized representative of the department as required by this chapter before requesting the electric utility to connect to the installations. Electric utilities may connect to the installations if approval is clearly indicated by certification of the electrical work permit required to be affixed to each installation or by equivalent means, except that increased or relocated services may be reconnected immediately at the discretion of the utility before approval if an electrical work permit is displayed. The permits shall be furnished upon payment of the fee to the department.

(6) The director, subject to the recommendations and approval of the board, shall set by rule a schedule of license and electrical work permit fees that will cover the costs of administration and enforcement of this chapter. The rules shall be adopted in accordance with the administrative procedure act, chapter 34.05 RCW. No fee may be charged for plug-in mobile homes, recreational vehicles, or portable appliances.

(7) Nothing in this chapter shall authorize the inspection of any wiring, appliance, device, or equipment, or installations thereof, by any utility or by any person, firm, partnership, corporation, or other entity employed by a utility in connection with the installation, repair, or maintenance of lines, wires, apparatus, or equipment owned by or under the control of the utility. All work covered by the national electric code not exempted by the 1981 edition of the national electric code 90-2(B)(5) shall be inspected by the department.

resistance

If you are the administrator or owner, then call the inspector and ask him to explain the reason for the citation. If he's not willing, then talk to his supervisor. They will give you an explanation. Who tagged you. Was it State?

ericsherman37

Lol, sorry, I can't resist any longer.

{MODERATOR'S NOTE: Inappropriate comment removed. You should have resisted.}

Last edited by a moderator:

marcerrin

I'm in WA too, and have had this happen before. I called the inspector and explained the situation. He understood and cleared it up quickly. Is it a state permit, or a city permit? Different municipalities in our state like to enforce they're own interpretation, as you surly know living here and all.

brian john

I'm in WA too, and have had this happen before. I called the inspector and explained the situation. He understood and cleared it up quickly. Is it a state permit, or a city permit? Different municipalities in our state like to enforce they're own interpretation, as you surly know living here and all.

Times are tough look for more mundane stuff recieving citations in order to raise revenue.

wawireguy

Sounds like temp power.. I've never heard of a citation for heating up a few receptacles. Wow! Must be on the west side of the state as the inspectors on the east side try to work with the contractors.

Duke E

Its a Labor and Industries citation. The job is permitted and has since passed a cover inspection without a hitch.

Times are tough look for more mundane stuff recieving citations in order to raise revenue.

Now more than ever I am feeling the need to cross my t's and dot my i's. I would however prefer my state work with me rather than ticket every mistake.

Sounds like temp power.. I've never heard of a citation for heating up a few receptacles. Wow! Must be on the west side of the state as the inspectors on the east side try to work with the contractors.

Yes! West side it is.
As a foot note, I spoke with the citing inspectors supervisor yesterday and he indicated that he would have a conference with the inspector today. The Supervisor indicated late today that the mater was still 'undecided' and he would be contacting me soon.
If this citation sticks I will be calling in inspections on a daily basis for all of my projects regardless of location, commercial or residential.

Status
Not open for further replies.