WAGO connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The guys that objected to me about shared neutral pre-twisting were in a telecom installation, were it must be done hot. They complained the pre-twist makes it too difficult to untangle without opening more than one circuit. I thought, but did not say, carefull use of side cutters might remedy this problem, after removing the wirenut.
If the wire nut was prperly installed there should be no difference in the appearance of the twists after the wire nut is removed.
Don

I have not used the Wagos myself. With fixtures from the factory and the Wago connector falling off is probably not a good example of their merit.
Take an experienced electrician, let him follow the instructions and then see the results. Lets not forget how mad we get when once in a while a wirenut do not work, the spring falls out, etc...
Then a better decision is possible.
Why do some guys have such success and others do not???

raider1

Staff member
I use to have reservations about the Ideal In-sures, that is the Ideal trade name.

But i had a neutral that had a connection done with an Ideal in-sure. The neutral came in contact with a hot conductor from a feeder and had a fault that flowed on the #12 neutral. The fault was large enough that it burned the insulation off the #12 neutral and finally burned the wire in half. The in-sure was still intact and had hardly any melting compared to the wire. After that I felt alot better about using the in-sure connectors.

I also was a, twist your wires first, wirenut guy. Now I use the in-sures in alot of applications. They work really great for changing ballasts.

Just thought I would say something good about the Ideal in-sures, as for the WAGO brand I haven't used them.

Chris

Lets face it. the Wago connectors in the Halo recessed cans are listed & I use them. If I get a call back it will be money in my pocket and thats why I'm in business... to make money!
GFCI's are great for call backs.
AFCI's are even better!
Let the code create more B.S. so I can get more service calls.

I use any push in type plug switch or connector only once.
I don't stock Wagos on my truck only wire nuts.
But remember our forefathers used to solder wires & they too were slow to accept wire nuts.
Whats next? MAgnetic insulated connectors? Maybe not in my lifetime...

scwirenut

Re: wagos

Re: wagos

ericlau said:
any saved labor using wagos will be lost in troubleshooting and warranty calls

you obviously didnt read my linked post, I have used wall-nuts exclusively for three years, I wire close to 100 homes a year, I have had no failures. NONE, not one, the only time i use a wire nut is when its a dead end or real small stranded. .Cans , smoke detects, box cut-ins, all are a breeze with wagos, stay in the ice age if you wish, I use a listed product from a MAJOR company , i save time , money, and arm/hand injurys, all the while proven that they are as reliable if not more than nuts.

JHarvey

I was introduced to the WAGO's at my previous employer. They used them by the ton, ok maybe a slight exageration, but they were used on all the #12 and #14 power circuits in the railroad control houses we built. The only time we experienced any failures from them was when we had a new electrician who either didn't strip enough insulation off the wire or stripped too much, eiether of which was a bad thing. In the time I was there we never had a failure complaint from our RR customers when the WAGO's were properly installed and these control houses have alot more movement and vibration than the residential or commercial installation that most of us do,, unless we're working along a fault line,,lol.

Just my two cents worth

JHarvey

Status
Not open for further replies.