Wagos or wirenuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkwong

I don't want this to be a huge debate...but I've been stewing over a question. A co-worker recently failed his rough inspection because of his use of Wagos and tape instead of wirenuts for his switchlegs (all residential). My question is this: Are Wagos not allowed in resi work, and if so, why not? I've used them in the past in the same area and have not been failed...

iwire

Staff member
The NEC does not prohibit the use of 'WAGOs' or any other wire connector used within it listing and labeling.

In other words unless there is a local amendment this inspector made a mistake.

jwelectric

One of these
quick_connectors.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:

I don’t think that anything will ever replace a crimp connector and Monkey Grip.

dcspector said:
Funny Frank......Mike thanks...WAGO "Brand name". Ideal has the same product or concept. personally I question them as far as connection.

These items have been tested, just as wirenuts have been tested. I am not as familar with them as wirenuts, but I am assuming that if they are properly installed, they will be fine.
Lets not forget how often we have in our careers come across wirenuts that have failed for one reason or another.

I am thinking that maybe the Wagos are less forgiving for the poor installation procedure than wirenuts may be, but that is just conjecture.

jwelectric

Joe R said:
Mike what is a monkey grip? and no funny stuff:D

Monkey Grip was a cloth tape that had adhesive on both sides. When using it you hands would get sticker than when priming tobacco.

When I first started we crimped every joint with three rounds of Monkey Grip and three rounds of slick black tape.

Split joints got the backing off the rubber tape, rubber tape. Monkey Grip and then slick black. By the time the split bolt was completed it would be about 10 times the size it started out.

Should you do very much remodel work you will have the good fortune to run into some of the famous Monkey Grip at some point in time.

See page 11 here

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Pierre,
These items have been tested, just as wirenuts have been tested.
So were the push-in connections on receptacles, but because of excessive problems in the field they can no longer be used on 20 amp circuits. It took many years before the use of the push-in connection on receptacles was limited to 15 amps. How many years have we been using the Wago type connectors?
Don

480sparky

My first experience with Wagos was when I installed 70 recessed cans in a large home, and the cans came from the manufacturer with Wagos pre-installed in the j-box.
After trim out and energizing the circuit, I spent the better part of two days tracking down the loose connections and replacing them with wire nuts.

Joe R

My first experience and the last with Wagos:mad: was when my boss brought some out to a house i was wiring, i looked at one and threw them in the trash, wirenuts for me:cool: .

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
480sparky said:
My first experience with Wagos was when I installed 70 recessed cans in a large home, and the cans came from the manufacturer with Wagos pre-installed in the j-box.
After trim out and energizing the circuit, I spent the better part of two days tracking down the loose connections and replacing them with wire nuts.
I'm sorry to hear that, but I have not had a single Wago-equipped recessed can connection fail to work yet, while I have experienced a few problem with wire-nutted ones.

Disclaimer: it was inexperienced helpers that produced the few problems with wire-nutted connections. I teach my guys how to connect stranded and solid wires, but . . . :rolleyes:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Joe R said:
My first experience and the last with Wagos:mad: was when my boss brought some out to a house i was wiring, i looked at one and threw them in the trash, wirenuts for me:cool: .
Notice: anyone who wishes to discard Wagos, please send them to me. (Seriously!)

mdshunk

kkwong

LarryFine said:
Notice: anyone who wishes to discard Wagos, please send them to me. (Seriously!)

Larry I might have some for you! :))

In my experiance and like others have echoed; it depends on the installer. I agree with the tape to irritate the next guy, but he probably does it because he tapes his wire nuts as well. I have also worked with "wago equipped" fixtures and have had the same problem. I guess the inspector is a traditionalist who wants to see wire nuts (though he mentioned something along the lines of buchannons and tape but that is a different thread in and of itself :)) )

Status
Not open for further replies.