Wall Chop Or Core Drill

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If your running a conduit inside and have to penetrate a concrete wall what determines whether you hammer drill it or core it? Block wall vs. poured in place wall? Thanks.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Block walls can easily be busted out with a hammer in a hollow cell. Poured concrete walls I use a Hilti Ferroscan to locate the mat and then core drill.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Yes. I don't like cutting the rebar if I can help it. A Ferroscan can show you where it is inside the wall to avoid or minimize cutting it.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
If your running a conduit inside and have to penetrate a concrete wall what determines whether you hammer drill it or core it? Block wall vs. poured in place wall? Thanks.
What determines it is how need you want or have to be. At least for smaller holes. Bigger holes generally get cored period.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Yes. I don't like cutting the rebar if I can help it. A Ferroscan can show you where it is inside the wall to avoid or minimize cutting it.
Not for core drilling, but I bought a bit made just for rebar in concrete. It cut through it like butter. But yes, I hate to hit it with either a core drill or regular hammer drill.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Not for core drilling, but I bought a bit made just for rebar in concrete. It cut through it like butter. But yes, I hate to hit it with either a core drill or regular hammer drill.
A core drill does cut through steel like butter. But I have done some jobs that have been commissioned and they require d any core drilling to not cut the rebar. Their reasoning I guess is that by cutting the rebar I have reduced the strength.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Early on for runs of half inch or three-quarter inch, I would use a Roto Hammer. Larger than that and it was a core drill. Later on we got a better core drill and that’s all we used, it was faster.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
I core drill my pool walls.
Foundation walls that are filled block or poured foundation walls, core bit.

My core bits blow right through rebar.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
1” or less I will roto hammer, anything larger than that, I’m core drilling. I have an SDS core bit set that goes up to 1-3/4” that I use frequently on brick because it cuts cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1” or less I will roto hammer, anything larger than that, I’m core drilling. I have an SDS core bit set that goes up to 1-3/4” that I use frequently on brick because it cuts cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Similar here. I do up to 1-1/8 SDS which does 3/4 pipe size, but anything above that is diamond core which we can do up to 6". Above that we sub it out.