wan used to relay fire alarm signals...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohio Fire Marshall will allow transmission of fire alarm signals over a wide-area-network provided they comply with nfpa72 2007 section 8.5....Checked the code and can't seem to figure out if I'm required to have two network drops for communications or not...if not how cananyone guarantee to restore the communications within 30 minutes???

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
What good would two drops be (or even three or four) if they are all on the same network? It's the network that goes down, not the drop. The whole idea is insane anyway unless there is a POTS backup.

-Hal

Rampage_Rick

What good would two drops be (or even three or four) if they are all on the same network? It's the network that goes down, not the drop. The whole idea is insane anyway unless there is a POTS backup.

-Hal
Depends on the quality of the WAN. Normally I'd say no, but it could be a case where there's network redundancy (i.e. fiber with radio failover, self healing mesh via Spanning Tree, etc) I mean, POTS is nothing more than a analog WAN.

Billy_Bob

I always thought the idea of having two network drops was for security systems and intruders cutting the phone line. Then there is a second line.

Also a "dummy drop" can be installed and the real drop hidden.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Ok, then does anybody have access to nfpa72 2007 section 8.5? I would be interested in what the requirements are. Jasmith?

-Hal

8.6.3.2.1.4 Transmission Channels.
(A)* A system employing a DACT shall employ one telephone line (number). In addition, one of
the following transmission means shall be employed:
(1) A second telephone line (number)
(2) A cellular telephone connection
(3) A one-way radio system
(4) A one-way private radio alarm system
(5) A private microwave radio system
(6) A two-way RF multiplex system
(7) A transmission means complying with 8.6.4

It's even more complicated than it looks.

"new" technologies

"new" technologies

I was refering to transmission means other than telco lines....The Engineer of Record seems to think that the WAN meets the req. of 72 and I tend to believe that without a back-up it doesn't. His assistant refered me to the section of 8.6 that says a back up isn't required as long as the "main" line is monitored for failure within 90 seconds of comm loss.(my system monitores comm transmissions every 3 seconds) My question is the section that says the system has to be restored within 30 minutes of failure and I say that it is VERY unlikely that that can be met.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I was refering to transmission means other than telco lines....The Engineer of Record seems to think that the WAN meets the req. of 72 and I tend to believe that without a back-up it doesn't. His assistant refered me to the section of 8.6 that says a back up isn't required as long as the "main" line is monitored for failure within 90 seconds of comm loss.(my system monitores comm transmissions every 3 seconds) My question is the section that says the system has to be restored within 30 minutes of failure and I say that it is VERY unlikely that that can be met.

Would this be an AES Intellinet system, by any chance? I'm setting one up now on a college campus. We'll see if it lives up to its hype.

As far a restoration in 30 minutes, if a hurricane takes down your telephone poles, you're probably going to wait more than 30 minutes for restoration of service.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
8.6.3.2.1.4 seems to be saying what I did. A telephone line WITH one of several other methods. Your fire marshal is probably saying that can be a network internet connection.

-Hal

Security101

8.6.3.2.1.4 seems to be saying what I did. A telephone line WITH one of several other methods. Your fire marshal is probably saying that can be a network internet connection.

-Hal

I agree, as I certainly would not depend on a Wan, or any other network connection for that matter, for primary coms on a fire alarm (heck I wouldn't have it for primary's on a security system:wink:)

All devices connected would need to be rated for the purpose...

POTS and a Back-up radio is the only way I do it, period.

Network connections are just for customer access/configuration etc.

Just my opinion though :roll:

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.