Want to make sure my calculations are right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Customer is building a 238 sq foot room with a bathroom, and wants to install (2) tankless water heaters. Thats it, lights, plugs, water heaters and window unit a/c /heat pump. He wants separate temperature for the sink than the shower. I tried using Mike Holts residential calculator which does not have provision for the tankless water heaters, and come up with around 149 amp total load. I think there may be a glitch in the version 2010H, or maybe because I am inputting the w/h loads at the bottom under other loads.
Any ways ran the calculation myself and just wanted to make sure I am OK.

lighting load 714 VA
w/h loads 31200
heat pump a/c 4800

total load 36714

1st 10000
26714 x .40 10685.6

total 20685.6 /240 = 86.19

Total Load 86.19

This look OK

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
If your adding this to an existing service, you need to figure new and existing loads as per 220.83(B).

gndrod

Customer is building a 238 sq foot room with a bathroom, and wants to install (2) tankless water heaters. Thats it, lights, plugs, water heaters and window unit a/c /heat pump.

heat pump a/c 4800

This look OK

As Chris K mentions, [220.83(B)] combines existing and new load Demand factoring. Note this includes 100% of the larger of connected heat or A/C load, but not both.

Does the 4 ton window unit have heat strips installed? Check it out. This may reduce the heat pump optional deduction in favor of a lower total service capacity calculation.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Even if you're trying to calculate a feeder for just this equipment, the heap pump goes in at 100% -- you don't get to apply the 40% factor to the heating/cooling loads.

I'd be careful of using a storage water heater calculation value for a tankless because storage water heaters are continuous loads whereas the tankless wil not be. That spreadsheet cell will probably be treating the VA you enter as continuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.