Warehouse with Multi-Power Meters Riser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

Please see the attached sketch and help me with checking this power feed design I am working on for a Warehouse.

Do you agree with the design or is there a better way to do this?

Thank You

Sketch Warehouse.jpg

Kinexis

might it be better for him to have disconnects at the service for the feeder to use smaller wire if he is not covered by the tap rule? and wouldn't this be a good situation for a multiple meter enclosure (eliminate wire-way and includes disconnect's). and if you move the service to the right you might be able to save some wire on them feeders.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The initial problem I see as mentioned is the location of of panel boards will likely require OCP at the service (meters).
Unless u need a "Main" due to local Codes or to address a fault-current issue, I would eliminate the main and feed the OCP directly.
A modular meter center might be the best idea. All components in one package.

Designer69

Ok thank you guys.

I updated the sketch and it looks better now.

a couple questions arise...

Can I remove the Main Disc. as shown? Keep in mind there is a new service transformer right above that Main Disc. so I would think maybe it should remain to protect the transformer secondary. (not sure if that's an NEC requirement, which section is this covered in?)

Also, is it a good idea to spread the panelboards as shown (1 in each tenant area) or just put them all together where the tenant 1 panel is?

Thanks again

Sketch Warehouse.jpg

Designer69

-Can I make those 3 panels MLO instead of MCB?
-Should the Main Disc. Sw. Stay there (given the service transformer)
-Is it a good idea to spread the panelboards as shown (1 in each tenant area) or just put them all together with the tenant 1 panel?

Those are my remaining questions (sketch updated). Would this information most readily be found in the "Services" section of the NEC Article 230?

Thanks!

Sketch Warehouse.jpg

Kinexis

is there a service disconnect before the transformer? is the transformer mounted to the building and owned by the property owner or the power company? i don't see a problem with MLO, i like panel-boards MLO and the service disconnects for the panel-boards before the panel-boards

Last edited:

Designer69

it is a pole mounted 3 ph transformer owned by the power company. It doesn't seem like I need that Disc. Sw. from what I can tell.

Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
-Can I make those 3 panels MLO instead of MCB? Yes, if they have OCP ahead of them as shown
-Should the Main Disc. Sw. Stay there (given the service transformer) I would not have it unless the utility requires it or you need it to reduce AIC
-Is it a good idea to spread the panelboards as shown (1 in each tenant area) or just put them all together with the tenant 1 panel?
Yes
Those are my remaining questions (sketch updated). Would this information most readily be found in the "Services" section of the NEC Article 230?
Yes, with a little digging

Thanks!

(minor correction on your sketch... the breakers in your meter center will likely be on the load side of the meter)

View attachment 20228
:thumbsup:

Designer69

One last question.

For service grounding, do I just ground that Meter Center to building ground (Water Pipe, Driven Ground Rod and BLDG. Steel)?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
If you are using a modular meter center that is normally the method.

Status
Not open for further replies.