warm arc fault breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshaw

Doing an inspection today and I noticed when I touched the arc fault breaker to trip it that it was warm to the touch. Nothing to get excited about, but noticeably warm just the same. There were two of the combination breakers that were added when the basement was finished and two that are not combination breakers that were installed before the combination breakers were required. The non-combination breakers were the ones that were warm. There is no load on the breakers as this home has never been occupied yet. They are seimens breakers 15 amp. Has anyone else noticed this and what would be the cause? Just curious.

iwire

Staff member
They do run warm due to the electronics within. Some manufacturers have actually recommended not to install them side by side.

The rumor is that this is why Cutler Hammer put in the proposal that eliminated the 42 circuit panelboard requirement. Now they can sell a 80 space panel that gives plenty of room to space the large number of AFCI breakers required under the 2008 NEC.

76nemo

jshaw said:
Doing an inspection today and I noticed when I touched the arc fault breaker to trip it that it was warm to the touch. Nothing to get excited about, but noticeably warm just the same. There were two of the combination breakers that were added when the basement was finished and two that are not combination breakers that were installed before the combination breakers were required. The non-combination breakers were the ones that were warm. There is no load on the breakers as this home has never been occupied yet. They are seimens breakers 15 amp. Has anyone else noticed this and what would be the cause? Just curious.

I had a call a month ago for a CH GFCI that was warm to the touch. HO had big company for dinner. One kitchen app ckt. at 16.9A's was 91 degrees while most of the rest were around 80-82.

Santa, I want an imager for Christmas. Please Santa, please. I'll let the reindeer have a half-hour each with quogue:grin:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Wired an assisted living home where there was two 42 circuit panels full of arc fault breakers per floor. Had lots of nusiance tripping due to the tremendous heat generated by the breakers. The average load was only about 2 amps. Siemens replaced all of the breakers under warranty, and have not had a problem since. Did not check to see if they were the new combos, as this was several years ago before the requirement. They may have been working on it at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.