Warning planks

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodduder

I have been in the electrical field for 25 years. I have never seen a "Warning plank" although I see the wording periodically in raceway and boxes job spec book. What does anyone who has installed a warning plank use as the warning plank? A 2x4, 1x4, ... Cannot locate anything on the web for such an item.

Thanks, Randy

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
what is the warning plank used for?
who has required it for you to put one in? And what are you installing it on?

BJ Conner

Warning Planks

Warning Planks

The "warning planks" I have seen were treated 2x12 s.
They were used for direct burried cables. The details would have 6-12" of sand, then the cable then 6-12" of more sand and a plank on top of that. About a foot above that would be red plastic tape.
Later jobs used "Concrete planks" with red dye in the concrete.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
From a canned spec:

Concrete Warning Planks: Nominal 12 by 24 by 3 inches in size, manufactured from 6000-psi concrete.
a. Color: Red dye added to concrete during batching.
b. Mark each plank with "ELECTRIC" or ?SIGNAL? in 2-inch- high, 3/8-inch- deep letters.

wolfman56

The reason is that if you are drilling into a slab and you notice the powder rising up from the bit is red stop immediately.

satcom

Back in the 50's and 60's you would always cover your cables with a "Warning plank" and build a sand bed above that, the planks, we used were 3/4 X 6 in 8ft lengths, and treated them with tar base, or roofing coating.

Then, along came PVC conduits

Status
Not open for further replies.