warning tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
300.5(D)(3). This section only applies to service conductors.

Chris
And only for those service conductors that installed in open trenches. Service conductors installed using directional boring do not require the warning tape.

wawireguy

And if it isn't required you could open up your check book, very large expense there, and buy a roll of the tape. If you happened to be next guy digging through that area I bet you would appreciate some tape.

nakulak

And if it isn't required you could open up your check book, very large expense there, and buy a roll of the tape. If you happened to be next guy digging through that area I bet you would appreciate some tape.

I have no words to express my disappointment for anyone who is too cheap to install warning tape. (Well, to be truthful, I actually do have words, but they would probably be deleted by a moderator. )

iwire

Staff member
I have no words to express my disappointment for anyone who is too cheap to install warning tape. (Well, to be truthful, I actually do have words, but they would probably be deleted by a moderator. )

LOL, yeah they might be especially when one of the moderators does not give away anything. :grin:

If there is no ribbon in the specs and it's not required by the NEC I do not install a ribbon. This has more to do with labor then ribbon costs. I am not going to have some one hang with the excavators just to install an ribbon unless I have to.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The NEC does not require the tape for buried service raceways only direct buried underground service conductors.

300.5 (D) (3) says u/g service conductors that are 18" deep or more and not encased in concrete need the tape. It doesn't mention raceways. I think it's required raceway or not. However,here in S. Fla., FP&L supplies the conduit and pulls the wire. Utilities aren't mandated to follow the code, so the tape wouldn't be required.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
300.5 (D) (3) says u/g service conductors that are 18" deep or more and not encased in concrete need the tape. It doesn't mention raceways. I think it's required raceway or not. However,here in S. Fla., FP&L supplies the conduit and pulls the wire. Utilities aren't mandated to follow the code, so the tape wouldn't be required.

It's not required for a raceway by the NEC. Could be required by the POCO or local code. 300.5(D) is for "Direct-buried conductors and cables", no mention of raceways.

yired29

There may be job site specifications that require it.

I did a job about 2 years ago where we put in the raceways for the serving utility and they wanted it concrete encased with red dye and a ribbon 1 foot above encasement. The raceway was for the high voltage cables for the site transformer. I believe the red dye and ribbon were required by the GC.

davedottcom

FPL does require the tape in Volusia Co. FL.

I know, I had to pay $74.53 for (1) roll of it! And No, they don't accept the cheap yellow caution tape. It has to say Buried lines below or something like that, I never looked at it again...

Used about 25' of the 1,000 ft roll and there it sits on the shelf!

:mad:

Hey shaw8456... I have plenty of it, How many feet do you need? ;)

electricmanscott

PM me, I'd like to hear them. :roll:

If it isn't required I am not buying it for you.

What other items would you like me to buy for my customers? :confused:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

The section you are quoting is under (D) and (D) specifically mentions direct burial conductors thus (D)(1)-(D)(4) pertains to the main heading (D) which again is direct burial conductors. (D)(3) could have been more specific but since it is under the direct burial of (D) it actually shouldn't need it.

I do see how you could get confused.

kwired

Electron manager
my personal opinion on warning tape for any utility - if you are digging in a new utility and for some reason did not know you had something else buried at the location by the time you see the warning tape (espicially if using trencher) you have already hit the marked utility but at least you have a tape to tell you what you hit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just for the record I'm not advocating not using if the service lateral is in a raceway. Like others have said it's cheap insurance for the next guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.