Warning with work phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

Just wanted to share a story. I worked for a service co. 5 years ago. They had 4 vans they ran and each guy who drove a van was given a cell phone. On one service call one guy went to the homeowner and discussed the price and then went to his van where he thought he would have a private conversation with the boss about the job he just sold. From what I remember the conversation was along the lines of "hey boss, I just sold this simple job to this dumb lady for like $2000.00, can you believe that she would pay that". Well little did they know that the homeowner was inside and heard every word through her childs baby monitor. Needless to say she told the guy to leave when he knocked on her door and then called our boss and told him all about it. Something to think about.

growler

Re: Warning with work phones

GG, I look at this from a different perspective. If he thought the job was worth 2k he would not have called the lady dumb and if he thought it wasn't he was gouging and should have been run off. People like that give the whole trade a bad reputation and make it hard for honest service contractors to get a fair price for quality work. I have never considered my customers as marks to be fleeced but I think some of them believe that all service people are low lifes & con men. I have even herd contractors bragging about taking advantage of people and I think this is poor practice. I have suggested getting every dime you can for your work but my meaning was different. I think that if you work in an area where the going rate is $75 an hour , you would have to be stupid to work for $25. I have always said that you will know if you are a con artist or a business man and this guy admitted which side of the fence he was on. This is only an opinion and not meant to offend anyone.

GG

Originally posted by growler:
If he thought the job was worth 2k he would not have called the lady dumb and if he thought it wasn't he was gouging and should have been run off.
The entire co. was all about over charging. Could be a good reason why they are out of business. My point wasnt about overpricing, it was to be cautious of what you say on a cell phone because someone may be listening to your conversation on a police scanner or baby monitor.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by GG:
then went to his van where he thought he would have a private conversation with the boss about the job he just sold. From what I remember the conversation was along the lines of "hey boss, I just sold this simple job to this dumb lady for like $2000.00, can you believe that she would pay that". Well little did they know that the homeowner was inside and heard every word through her childs baby monitor.
Possible urban myth?

Who made his phone, Fisher Price? :D

An older type cordless house phone may operate in the same frequency as a baby monitor but I do not think any cell phone frequencies share the space with baby monitors.

jimwalker

Make sure your key pad is locked too.An x boss caught one of our men doing side work on some townhouses for the GC.His phone wasn't locked and he accidently bumped a button.Guess who it dialed ?He heard the entire conversation about money,the job,and how much his bill was.Boss simply hit save.Then fired him.

hurk27

Has to be a urban myth as cel phones don't even operate close the the frequancy of a 49mhz baby monitor and newer cell phones are digital transmission which would sound like a bunch of beeps and buzzs on a analog reciver even if was tuned to the right frequancy.

GG

I should clarify that this was a 2 way walky talky that was also a part of the cell phone. I dont know about all the technical jargon, only that the HO heard the conversation.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

I should clarify that this was a 2 way walky talky that was also a part of the cell phone.

Nextel. Read what Hurk said above. Urban myth for sure.

-Hal

stud696981

I would also agree that this is a Urban Legend. Most baby monitors operate in the 49mhz range. Plus the two way feature has been in Digital since I can remember so I would not even have an intelligible sound if it did interfere.

bradleyelectric

baby monitors can be very sensitive and amplify. We used to hear a bird chirp very loud through my sons window. At first we couldn't believe that it was that loud. Than 1 time I actually heard the person in the apartment above mines ask his mother to drive him to Sears so he could steal a phone to give to a girl he knew. I called Sears and gave them the information and type of car they would be in. The womans window may have been open and he just heard his voice through the monitor, not his cell signal.

adidas532

I think the moral of the story is, acting professal while on the job. If the job was clean it wouldn't matter what the guys said.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I can't believe how many people consider their cell phone conversations to be private. If you are talking in a public area, then your words are public. I think it's a mistake to say anything on a cell phone that you would not want the entire world to be able to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.