warranty work

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Reading another thread and seeing a recall on square d web site on recall of disconnect switches got me wondering. Has any one ran into a situation where something you installed was recalled by the mfg. and did the mfg. pay you for replacing the defective item? When I read about the disconnect recall I said to self " o crap" I had installed about 12 sq.d disconnects for welders in a building about 6 mo. ago, luckily for me mine were not on the recall list.

Buck Parrish

I haven't yet. I can't imagine a distributor paying to have it re-installed though I suppose it is posible.

I didn't know Raeford was big enough to need twelve welders at one time.

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
bad ballast, you bet

bad ballast, you bet

I just had Universal lighting technologies pay me 35$ to replace t5ho ballasts that they knew were bad but shipped anyway. the fixtures worked for two months. :mad:

Huevos

Pullnwire said:
I just had Universal lighting technologies pay me 35$ to replace t5ho ballasts that they knew were bad but shipped anyway. the fixtures worked for two months. :mad:
$35 per ballast or total?

mdshunk

Once the customer owns the item, I really don't see it as my duty to go and check to see if something I installed there might or might not be a recalled item. I did put in two transformers maybe 5 years ago that were in fact recalled. The customer found that out on their own, and Square D contracted another electrician to replace many such transformers in many locations en masse.

Warranty work is a different story. The item just summarily gets replaced, and I'll try to hash it out with the manufacturer or supply house later. That's just what I feel I need to do. I try to make that end of the process totally invisible to the customer; painless for them. This is where having a good supply house on your side pays off. A certain amount of warranty labor is part of the overhead calculation anyhow.

Last edited:

brian john

I had a transformer that was bad from day one, I had to buy a new one return the old one to Eaton, and if my supplier had not stayed on top of them I never would have received credit. I ate the labor.

I stand behind my installations PERIOD, and defects from quality of work is FIXED I do not care how long ago I did the work. defective equipment is manufactures warranty.

Though I have only had a few issues with quality of work by far manufacturer's defects are more common.

bradleyelectric

Pullnwire said:

Did they give you new ballasts and an additional $35./ ballast for labor? I had a string of fixtures with universal T5 ballasts that a lot were bad and I needed to fix quick so I found a local distributor and bought them. I still have the old ballasts and haven't gone through the warrenty bs they want me to jump through yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.