washer circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

escape

The NEC states that all 125-volt 15, 20 amp receptacles installed with in 6ft of a laundry, wet bar, and utility sink must be GFIC protected. Does this include the washer outlet???

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Re: washer circuit

If the washer is within 6' of a sink it must have a GFCI per 210.8(A)(7) - there are no exceptions. If the washer is in an uninished basement and not within 6' of a sink it does not need a GFCI per 210.8(A)(5) ex.2.

jimwalker

Are we both using the same 02 nec ? Mine says
210.8a7
Wet bar sinks- where the receptacles are installed to SERVE THE COUNTERTOP SURFACES and are located within 1.8m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the wet bar sink.

This outlet serves the washer not not wet bar sink.No gfci needed

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Are we both using the same 02 nec ?
That is a good point Jim and I agree with you if the OP is under the 2002 NEC

In the 2005 it has been changed and it now applies to all outlets within 6' of the sink regardless of what they serve.

jimwalker

Bob ,if you can please paste it here.I am not saying it would be a bad idea but it will add more cost and troubles.I hope to be retired before we kick in 05 :) Was there a lot of shocks or deaths over this ? Or did they just want to seel one more gfci ? :confused:

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Bob ,if you can please paste it here.I am
Jim I would be glad to but I do not have '05 on disk yet. Basiclly just remove the part that says SERVE THE COUNTERTOP SURFACES.

Status
Not open for further replies.