washer/dryer combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

A washer/dryer combo appliance is being installed in condo units. This appliance is rated 120V, 10A . In the calculations for the units do I just carry the 1.5KVA required for the laundry circuit or do I carry 1.5KVA for the laundry circuit and 1.2KVA for the appliance?

physis

Re: washer/dryer combo

220.16(B) forces the laundry load to be included for 1500 VA minimum if the exception can't be met.

It doesn't have to counted in addition to 220.16(B).

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

This is an oddity, I must admit. I agree that you count 1.5 KVA for the ?required laundry outlet.? I also agree with physis, that you don?t also count an additional 1.2 KVA. Actually, counting an additional 1.2 KVA is not even an available option. If you count a dryer at all, you count it as 5 KVA, or the nameplate rating, whichever is higher, per 220.18.

But the way I see it is that there will be no separate outlet for the dryer. The washer and dryer share a common power connection, and you don?t treat them as separate entities. Therefore, in your service calculation, you don?t list a dryer among the loads.

peterelec

if you use the optional calc method not need for the 5kva, you could use the nameplate rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.