Washing Machine GFCI/AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jody Boehs

Occupation
Controls and Electrical Manager
I have a dedicated circuit to a washing machine in the laundry room. Do I need to put that on a 20A AFCI breaker or do I need to put in a GCFI receptacle? Or do I need any protection other than a regular 20A breaker? This particular outlet is BELOW countertop height. Does that play a part in whether or not it needs protection? I know it does in a kitchen, not sure in a laundry area.

peter d

I have a dedicated circuit to a washing machine in the laundry room. Do I need to put that on a 20A AFCI breaker or do I need to put in a GCFI receptacle? Or do I need any protection other than a regular 20A breaker?

The quickest and easiest way to accomplish this is to use a dual function AFCI/GFCI breaker, assuming you don't have an obsolete panel. Otherwise you can do it as you described.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The quickest and easiest way to accomplish this is to use a dual function AFCI/GFCI breaker, assuming you don't have an obsolete panel. Otherwise you can do it as you described.

Seems he's asking if he's required to put the washing machine outlet on a GFI or AFCI protected circuit at all.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
I have a dedicated circuit to a washing machine in the laundry room. Do I need to put that on a 20A AFCI breaker or do I need to put in a GCFI receptacle? Or do I need any protection other than a regular 20A breaker? This particular outlet is BELOW countertop height. Does that play a part in whether or not it needs protection? I know it does in a kitchen, not sure in a laundry area.
Which edition of NEC applies? Answers will vary depending on which code cycle applies.

2014 NEC would require both GFCI and AFCI protection. GFCI receptacle can't be used if behind the appliance because it needs to be readily accessible. Most people are likely using combination AFCI/GFCI circuit breaker for this application now, that is what I would probably do most instances.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
... Most people are likely using combination AFCI/GFCI circuit breaker....
Just a reminder to the readers that a "combo" or combination AFCI (as distinct from a combination AFCI/GFCI) is just an AFCI that (supposedly) detects both series and parallel arcs.
When you have both AFCI and GFCI in one breaker UL calls it a "dual function" breaker.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor

By the way, it doesn't matter if it is below the countertop or not for gfi protection.
The requirement is not a horizontal linear measurement but an encompassing measurement.:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.