Water bonding for in-ground pool with spa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nateski

New User
Occupation
Homeowner
I have a new residential construction of an in-ground pool and spa. I have connected all rebar and lath in the shell concrete, any metal within 5 feet of the water, and the entire area surrounding the pool/spa with a continuous #8 copper wire that terminates at my pump, heater, and filter in the equipment area. The concrete shell of both pool and spa have been coated with a waterproof membrane and a large portion of the pool and all of the spa have been covered with porcelain and glass tile. I am planning the bonding of the actual pool and spa water to tie into this system using a water bonding fixture (with the required 9 sq in of metal exposure) that is screwed into a 2 inch pvc fitting in the suction line going to the pump. Since my pool and spa are actually two separate bodies of water that each have their own drain and suction line, it would seem that I need TWO of these fittings in order for the standing water in each body to have continuous contact with the rest of the system (since the individual suction lines are on either side of a 3 way valve that connects to the pump suction inflow, with only ONE body of water selected at a time to go to the pump). All of my research addresses equipotential bonding for the 'pool' water but I've been unable to find any opinions on this issue of the in-ground spa water being ostensibly separate from the pool water and needing it's own water bonding. Most of what I've found addresses the pool water assuming some direct connection to the spa water. However, depending on the selection of that 3-way valve, only one body of water would be directly connected to the rest of the system at a time leaving the other body unprotected. I'm curious as to how most pool builders address this and would appreciate some perspective and expertise from this forum.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The forum rules do not allow us to assist in DIY projects.

This site is designed for:
  • Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.