Water ground for old service

Status
Not open for further replies.

T74

Got a call to ground the water main in an old apartment building.

Curious where other people would bond.

Neutral is not bonded in main disconnect.

Meter banks are locked but through the blanks it looks like neutral is bonded in meters.

Tried to include picture of disco but it wouldn't come through.

Planning on calling inspector to touch base but curious if anyone has run into an old service like this.
T IMG_3758.jpeg

T74

There is a main 200 amp disconnect for the meters in the picture above.

Normally I would bond there. I guess what I wondering is do I need bod there?

Disconnect is about 100" more away. Neutra isn't bonded in disconnect so I would parable just be landing a lug. if im just landing a lug can I do it on the service equipment in the picture above? Everything is hard piped and bonded

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
in the trough up above?
Yes, we call it a trough but the NEC calls it a wireway. The GEC can connect to the neutral at any point ahead of the service disconnect so the wireway is fine.

250.24 Grounding Service-Supplied Alternating-Current Systems.
(A) System Grounding Connections. A premises wiring system supplied by a grounded ac service shall have a grounding electrode conductor connected to the grounded service conductor, at each service, in accordance with 250.24(A)(1) through (A)(5).
(1) General. The grounding electrode conductor connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the
overhead service conductors, service drop, underground service conductors, or service lateral to, including the terminal or
bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.