Water heater - continuous load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlWired

NEC art. 422.13 says a storage-type water heater with capacity of less than 120 gal. is to be treated as a continuous load. But when I look at examples D2(a), D2(b), and D2(c), 100% of the water heater load is used instead of 125%. The capacity of the water heater in these examples is not given but I wouldn't think that the capacity would be over 120 gal. judging from the square footage given in the example. Why is this? Is it because these examples are of residences, or is it because these examples all use the optional method, or is there some other reason?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, there is this:

220.83(B) list item (3) The nameplate rating of all appliances that are fastened in place, permanently connected, or located to be on a specific circuit, ranges, wall-mounted ovens, countermounted cooking units, clothes dryers, and water heaters.

This is for a service/feeder load calculation only. A branch circuit calculation would have to account for the 125% rule, as 422.10 would require.

I see this as a conflict with 215.2(A)(1), myself - but IMO, that section contradicts itself.

AlWired

George - I think you were referring to 220.82(B). You hit the nail on the head as far as dwelling units go. If I were calculating the service load for a store ( a non-dwelling unit) I assume I would multiply the water heater load by 125%. Do you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.