water heater disconnect in clothes closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

New EE

Is there a code requirement against having a water heater disconnect in a residential clothes closet? The owner is putting a water heater in the bedroom closet so I was wondering if there were any electrical code violations by putting a disconnect in there. Thanks.

dhalleron

Occupation
Master Electrician/Senior Fire Alarm Technician
2008 NEC 110.26?

You can't store stuff in the working space. And you might not have the proper working clearance anyway in a closet.

New EE

Thanks guys.....It's a non-fused disconnect.

Also, sorry if I'm asking an elementary questions. If the water heater is 6KW (28.8FLA), 208V, 1 phase, to size the breaker it would be 28.8 x 1.25 = 36A. Would you use a 2P35A breaker or would I have to provide a 2P40A breaker? Thanks.

Npstewart

Most water heaters have 2 elements that are not simultaneous. Your water heater might be 6KW total, but your OCP should be sized for 3KW, or each element, Unless each element is 6KW, which is unlikely.

New EE

Thanks. You are correct. The water is a dual element at 3KW each.

Also, thinking more about it, Article 240.24(D) states "overcurrent devices" are not permitted but would that apply to the water heater disconnect switch in the clothes closet? I'm just trying to figure out if I need to tell the Architect that they can or can't locate the water heater in the bedroom clothes closet. Thanks.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
2008 NEC 110.26?

You can't store stuff in the working space. And you might not have the proper working clearance anyway in a closet.

:)OK, there is no stuff in working space..I repeat there is no stuff in working space. Repeat until we all believe.

With a little planning the working space in front of nonfused disconnect could certainly be obtained. The clothes just happen to be hung adjacent to the water heater. It is not a clothes closet any more.:roll:

jumper

:)OK, there is no stuff in working space..I repeat there is no stuff in working space. Repeat until we all believe.

With a little planning the working space in front of nonfused disconnect could certainly be obtained. The clothes just happen to be hung adjacent to the water heater. It is not a clothes closet any more.:roll:

Cool, I'm in.......................:cool:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.