Water Heater Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed downey

I have a commercial building that has multple 80 gallon electric hot water heaters that we have installed a twist lock receptacle on an SO cord and terminated it that way using this as a disconnecting means. Does 400.7 exclude this type of disconnecting means? Is there something else that I am missing that we are violating?

Thanks,
Ed

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I have a commercial building that has multple 80 gallon electric hot water heaters that we have installed a twist lock receptacle on an SO cord and terminated it that way using this as a disconnecting means. Does 400.7 exclude this type of disconnecting means? Is there something else that I am missing that we are violating?

That sounds like an expensive alternative to using a breaker lockout or even a pullout type AC disconnect. Breaker lockouts for me...;)

raider1

Staff member
Also in conjunction with 422.16, you probably won't meet the requirements in 400.7(A)(8) to use a flexible cord to connect the water heater unless the manufacture identifies or intend that the water heater be cord and plug connected. What does the manufactures installation instructions say about cord and plug connection?

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.