Water heater longlivity, things to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyoligist2

The thread "water heater anode is corroding" got me to thinking. I didn't want to Hijack it with my question.

I'm not so concerned about the anode, I am more concerned about structural damage in some locations due to leakage.

We have about 100 or so water heaters in offices, bathrooms, labs, ETC.

Any suggestions on how to predict leakage? Other than a moisture detector, which I have installed in most of the enclosed water heaters, located in an obscured area where regular inspections are a pain to get to.

iwire

Staff member
I don't know about how to predict the life but we have installed these 'Flood stoppers' for customers.

http://www.getfloodstop.com/Water_Heater_FloodStop_p/fs34npt.htm

rewilliams_2109_39075661

norcal

Well depending on the building code and the size of the heater; it needs to be elevated (off the floor) and a catch pan, as I recall.

Being elevated is usually a requirement when a appliance fueled by gas (dunno a thing about oil fueled as not used in these parts) & in a garage.

cadpoint

Yeah they didn't want that dual path through the metal frame stand on conductive concrete(see other threads), and the bonded gas line. :grin:

I just wanted to throw that out so one doesn't run short or long on there wire
and they understand that it does exist from other Codes, the search and quary will be on them... :cool:

Or better yet to undersatnd why it's now elevated...

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Yeah they didn't want that dual path through the metal frame stand on conductive concrete(see other threads), and the bonded gas line. :grin:

I just wanted to throw that out so one doesn't run short or long on there wire
and they understand that it does exist from other Codes, the search and quary will be on them... :cool:

Or better yet to undersatnd why it's now elevated...

??????????????? to the dual path comment
As far as elevated water heaters, the only time they are required to be elevated is when they are a possible source of combustion for flammable vapors for cars, paint, etc.

cadpoint

??????????????? to the dual path comment
As far as elevated water heaters, the only time they are required to be elevated is when they are a possible source of combustion for flammable vapors for cars, paint, etc.

Again that depends on one's Building or Mech Code it's not our Code...

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Again that depends on one's Building or Mech Code it's not our Code...

It is in the UPC, and in the IRC. We have to follow all the codes not just the NEC, this can get you from left field when you don't expect it. I should add if it is an electric water heater there would be no reason to elevate it, just one with a flame. There are water heaters that are sealed so the burner is not open below 18" and some jurisdictions will accept them instead of a stand. Some will not, San Fransisco being an example of one that will not.

dana1028

It is in the UPC, and in the IRC. We have to follow all the codes not just the NEC, this can get you from left field when you don't expect it. I should add if it is an electric water heater there would be no reason to elevate it, just one with a flame. There are water heaters that are sealed so the burner is not open below 18" and some jurisdictions will accept them instead of a stand. Some will not, San Fransisco being an example of one that will not.

These 'FVIR'-type water heater have been a Fed. design requirement since July, 2006. [FVIR = Flammable Ignition Vapor Resistant - it is not impossible for a flammable vapor to get inside these units and ignite, however the ignition is contained within the burn chamber so there is no risk of starting a fire in the garage].

As far as SFO goes, everybody knows that is a foreign country and it really depends on which inspector and what day & time of day you get for your inspection....the same inspector will give you three different answers for an inspection depending on time of day and what day of the week the inspection falls on.

I do know this type of water heater is approved and addressed in the Plumbing Code, and even SFO will approve this type heater [again, depending on time of day, day of week, and inspector].

dana1028

I don't know about how to predict the life but we have installed these 'Flood stoppers' for customers.

http://www.getfloodstop.com/Water_Heater_FloodStop_p/fs34npt.htm

rewilliams_2109_39075661

These devices are incredible - I have seen these installed in upstairs closets for washing machines.

A typical washing machine supply hose is under constant pressure [the valve is turned on]...with this device the water valve is in the closed position until you turn your washing machine on...a signal goes to the water valve solenoid and thus opens the water valve...so the hose is pressurized only during the fill cycle. There is also a sensing component that lays on the floor under the washer, if it senses water it will close the supply water valve. !!

This falls under a 'must have' category for interior locations.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
A typical washing machine supply hose is under constant pressure [the valve is turned on]...with this device the water valve is in the closed position until you turn your washing machine on...a signal goes to the water valve solenoid and thus opens the water valve...so the hose is pressurized only during the fill cycle.
So I have always wondered about such a device: do they have a mechanism for releasing the pressure in the hose after the valve is closed? If not, then the hose is still under pressure all the time. Although you obviously get the benefit that should the hose burst, the leak is limited (to volume of the water in the hose).

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.