water heater ocpd

Status
Not open for further replies.

merle657

what i am trying to figure out is would i use the ampacity of both (3000W and 6000W) heating elements or just the bigger of the two im really confused

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Merle, welcome to the forum! :)

what is the correct way i would figure ocpd on a water heater with a 3000w and a 6000w on a 240v circuit
Are you sure it isn't "3000w upper, 3000w lower, 3000w total"?

What you described would require two separate circuits.

merle657

this is a hypothetical question i am just trying to find out the correct way to figure it out in an instance like this

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A standard household water heater is marked 4500w for each element but the elements are never run at the same time. I have never seen a water heater with different element sizes.

broadgage

In the case of theoretical example given, it would depend on the internal wiring of the water heater.
If the elements can never be energised at the same time, then consider only the larger one.
If both elements can be energised at the same time, then consider the total load of both.
In a real world case, the manufacturers instructions should be followed, in addition to the NEC.

iwire

Staff member
In the case of theoretical example given, it would depend on the internal wiring of the water heater.
If the elements can never be energised at the same time, then consider only the larger one.
If both elements can be energised at the same time, then consider the total load of both.
In a real world case, the manufacturers instructions should be followed, in addition to the NEC.

I agree 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.