Water Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
Had someone pose a question, currently a 40 gal electric water heater on a 30amp breaker, is thinking about adding another water heater for new whirlpool tub. Can we "tap" off of the current electric supply for another heater?

More information should be forthcoming.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
No...A water heater is considered a continuous load (422.13) and if you take 4500W * 125%= 5625W/240V=23.44A. That 30A circuit is not going to handle another load.

Occupation
Inspector
That is my thought. I have no one to bounce this sort of thing off of.

This guy is investigating one of the "Instant Hot" systems for this Whirlpool, 65 gal.. The one he is looking at is gas with electric igniter.

Thanks

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Well, in that case if the only load would be an ignitor, you may be able to apply 210.19 (A) (4) Exception 1, but that is assuming the ignitor was 240V. If it is 120V, you would not have a grounded conductor to tap. I would just find another source if it were me.

Occupation
Inspector
m73214 said:
Well, in that case if the only load would be an ignitor, you may be able to apply 210.19 (A) (4) Exception 1, but that is assuming the ignitor was 240V. If it is 120V, you would not have a grounded conductor to tap. I would just find another source if it were me.

The explanation of the Instant Hot was an aside. This would be an alternative to another 40 or so gal. heater.

The flow rates are low on most of the ?Instant Hot" systems. You might remind him to look at that if you want the wiring for the hot water heater.

gndrod

An on demand system that is integral with the jaccuzzi/spa, may require a GFCI and may require at least a 50 amp circuit such as used in a common hot tub setup. In the two tank method, an extra 40 gal electrical tank might not meet heating recovery times depending on how the Whirlpool is being used. I cast my vote on the gas scenario as probably the best direction.
rbj, Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.