Water softener gfci?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edward4100

Occupation
Maintenance electrician
Do I need a gfci for a water softener in a finished basement? I don’t know if the softener has any kind of built in gfci protection.

edward4100

Occupation
Maintenance electrician
Thanks for your input. The location is technically a bathroom, there is a sink. Along with a water heater but the softener outlet is on the opposite side of the wall the sink is on. It’s a “U” shaped room if that makes any sense. I assumed it was needed

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for your input. The location is technically a bathroom, there is a sink. Along with a water heater but the softener outlet is on the opposite side of the wall the sink is on. It’s a “U” shaped room if that makes any sense. I assumed it was needed
As Ron stated the requirement is generally dictated by the location. Since you're in a bathroom the receptacle would require GFCI protection.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is a sink the only pulumbing fixture in the room (excluding the softner) ??

edward4100

Occupation
Maintenance electrician
Is a sink the only pulumbing fixture in the room (excluding the softner) ??
There is a toilet in the room too
Water heater is to your right of the toilet and softener is behind the wall about where the mirror is. One outlet on the wall, 48” from floor on the wall across from the sink

Attachments

• 87F2A19C-6C24-4320-BFE6-F8C356F1FB17.jpeg
    87F2A19C-6C24-4320-BFE6-F8C356F1FB17.jpeg
    862.8 KB · Views: 11

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
There is a toilet in the room too
Water heater is to your right of the toilet and softener is behind the wall about where the mirror is. One outlet on the wall, 48” from floor on the wall across from the sink
Yes, under the 2020 code you need GFCI protection for the receptacle outlet supplying the water softener. Finished or unfinished.

Ron

atitus

Occupation
Healthcare
Not sure if this belongs here or somewhere else, OR if this was even answered in another thread... I used to work for an electrician who is now retired, shout out to that man, taught me all I know related to the industry.. anyways he refered me to this forum.. anyways..

I live in Tallahassee and have a rainsoft water softener system that was just installed by a particular company.. they installed it over by the well about a good 30-50 feet away from the house... When I asked him questions about how he was going to get power for the system there, he said we do this all the time and that he was going to take it from the 240volt well pump and wire in a 120volt GFCI... I asked if it was code to use the ground coming from the panel as the neutral AND ground at the newly installed GFCI and he said yes, it is code.. I felt unsettled about this and started to ask questions.. could someone clear up the air for me?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Not sure if this belongs here or somewhere else, OR if this was even answered in another thread... I used to work for an electrician who is now retired, shout out to that man, taught me all I know related to the industry.. anyways he refered me to this forum.. anyways..

I live in Tallahassee and have a rainsoft water softener system that was just installed by a particular company.. they installed it over by the well about a good 30-50 feet away from the house... When I asked him questions about how he was going to get power for the system there, he said we do this all the time and that he was going to take it from the 240volt well pump and wire in a 120volt GFCI... I asked if it was code to use the ground coming from the panel as the neutral AND ground at the newly installed GFCI and he said yes, it is code.. I felt unsettled about this and started to ask questions.. could someone clear up the air for me?
He lied.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Wait I don’t see “bath” in your bathroom equation
Sink+toilet+bath/or bathing apparatus = bathroom
Nope. It’s a sink and toilet. See bathroom definition in NEC.
In the early 70’s when GFCIs were required in bathrooms, no one knew what a bathroom was, hence a definition. Same issue happened with kitchens.

Status
Not open for further replies.