Water trough in an agricultural feed lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mheyse

I am installing a water trough in a feed lot on a concrete walkway. It only has power for the heaters. There are no local codes. This is in the county. I have been looking in the NEC and had only found reference to this in a foot note. It reference’s to the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE) EP342.2-1995, Safety for Electrically Heated Livestock Waterers. I do not have a copy of this. I am told there is not any rebar or wire in the concrete. It is being fed with an 8/3 UF cable and the farthest one is about 800’ from the electrical panel. I was going to be driving a ground rod at the waterer but did not know if a GFCI device is needed on this. I will have some at 240 V and some at 120 V. The load is 4 - 250 W heaters.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am not sure it is a code issue. Article 547 applies to things inside or adjacent to an ag building. It may be you are not in or adjacent to an ag building.

If article 547 applies to this case, you may need to install some kind equipotential plane. I don't see how just driving a ground rod would comply.

IMO, it might be a good idea to use GFCI protection but you might also want some kind of feedback to tell you if it is tripped. That would add to your cost and ag is often about doing the cheapest thing.

547.10 Equipotential Planes and Bonding of Equipotential
Planes. The installation and bonding of equipotential planes
shall comply with 547.10(A) and (B). For the purposes of this
section, the term livestock shall not include poultry.
(A) Where Required. Equipotential planes shall be installed
where required in (A)(1) and (A)(2).
(1) Indoors. Equipotential planes shall be installed in
confinement areas with concrete floors where metallic equipment
is located that may become energized and is accessible to
livestock
(2) Outdoors. Equipotential planes shall be installed in
concrete slabs where metallic equipment is located that may
become energized
and is accessible to livestock.
The equipotential plane shall encompass the area where the
livestock stands while accessing metallic equipment that may
become energized.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We do a lot of equipotential plane work for ag.

Over here, the concrete around the trough would have wire mesh or rebar in a grid installed in it. Then at a minimum, a #8 bare CU attached to the mesh or rebar would come out of the concrete and connect to the EGC feeding the heater. That said, I also know of a lot of water troughs with heaters and no equipotential planes installed. They do not have livestock falling over dead. I also know most folks aren't going to want to install an equipotential plane after the concrete is poured either.

You and your customer are going to have to make some choices.

mheyse

We do a lot of equipotential plane work for ag.

Over here, the concrete around the trough would have wire mesh or rebar in a grid installed in it. Then at a minimum, a #8 bare CU attached to the mesh or rebar would come out of the concrete and connect to the EGC feeding the heater. That said, I also know of a lot of water troughs with heaters and no equipotential planes installed. They do not have livestock falling over dead. I also know most folks aren't going to want to install an equipotential plane after the concrete is poured either.

You and your customer are going to have to make some choices.
Thanks for your reply. I will be discussing this with my manager.

mheyse

I am not sure it is a code issue. Article 547 applies to things inside or adjacent to an ag building. It may be you are not in or adjacent to an ag building.

If article 547 applies to this case, you may need to install some kind equipotential plane. I don't see how just driving a ground rod would comply.

IMO, it might be a good idea to use GFCI protection but you might also want some kind of feedback to tell you if it is tripped. That would add to your cost and ag is often about doing the cheapest thing.
My plan was to at least have a gfci on the circuit. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.