Watertight Light Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Someone has to make a nice looking light switch that can be used in a wet location.

I've found the Pass & Seymour "Wet Location cover" that goes over a switch. But I'm not really sure it can survive a direct hose spray.

And I've found a Hubbell "rubber boot cover" for a switch, but the wall plate seems to only be available in a mix of grey and black. And I'm not sure how long the boot will last.

Either of these would be better if they came with a stainless steel plate.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Steve

physis

Re: Watertight Light Switch

It's disappointing the lack of switches available in this indusrty compared to the rest of the world. There almost an infinite number of swithches available outside of the electrical field.

Anyway, maybe a marine source would have something. I don't know what they have anymore but I used to buy stuff from West Marine for boats.

straps

Home Depot has a grey cover for singles as well as doubles grey in color with a red painted switch acuator manufactured by Carlon of Canada. Both come with rubber gaskets I have installed them in garbadge dumpster rooms in 8 different condo associations down here in Florida just be selective with the switch you put in the box. The folks that manuf Bell Boxes make a kit with a switch cover plate and a gasket same store not too ugly also used them in several locations. These rooms are cleaned with fire hoses and pressure cleaners and seem to last at least 2-3 years. ;)

allenwayne

The standard wp cover for a simgle toggle has the gasket cut out for a toggle but isn`t rated for a switch.
So its either an in use cover or the one I think Hubbell makes, the one that has a diecast arm that actuates the switch

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Thanks for all the replies. I finally noticed that Pass & Seymour has some stainless steel coverplates that have a "flexible silicone bubble" that goes over a switch. That sounds a lot like the home depot switches.

I've never used them before, and I'm a little worried the silicone may tear after some use, but that seems to be the best thing I found.

I thought about using the die cast arm type, but I'm worried about corrosion, and just how waterproof they are.

Steve

physis

What does the navy use? I know there's stuff like this somewhere.

weatherproof_switch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.