Waveform Lighting cri

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I've been looking for some high CRI recessed lighting, across Waveform, which promises up to a 99 CRI. That's insane for LED

Does anyone have any experience using their products?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Looks interesting, they appear to only sell it in strip lighting?
If you scroll down, you'll see a19, br30, t8 tubes, and they mention horticulture lighting and other things. I'm just guessing all of their products are high CRI like that.

It is interesting, for sure. They make a big deal about the reds. I know that's the hardest color, and anybody who really cares about CRI is tooting their horn about what they do with reds

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
CRI isn't the be all and end all. CRI, aka Ra8 is only a mathematical representation of the rendition of eight standardized pastel color chips. You could have have the same CCT (the "k" temp) and the CRI, yet have different spectral plot. You could have a very high CRI Ra8 and be lacking in R9 which represents deep red, like red meat. Consequently, "CRI rating" on LEDs are designed in collaboration with the marketing department so as to accomplish a high score on the standardized test. Kind of like study guides to score well on SATs with no relevance to how they do in the real world.

Also, the effect of optical brightener is completely ignored. They're used in clothes, paper, and other things. https://lumileds.com/technology/led-technology/crispwhite-technology/ Almost all solid state fluorescent lamps, colloquially known as "LED lights" use royal blue light to excite yellow emitting phosphor blend is completely devoid in anything shorter than royal blue and there is a deficiency in the spectrum that lies between royal blue and green, known as "cyan gap" https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fchem.2023.1274410/full

When you adjust voltage to reach the desired color temperature setpoint on any incandescent lamp, the spectral power distribution is identical regardless of the lamp which makes standardization a breeze regardless of the audience (eyes, film, CCD, CMOS, sensors). Same can't be said about other forms of lamps, including fluorescent lamps (be it solid state LED pumped or gas discharge).

White clothes can be designed to be optimized for solid state fluorescent lamp lit indoor situations by adding blue dye, but if they're laundered with fabric brightener containing detergent, they'll visibly look too blue in natural light.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
If you scroll down, you'll see a19, br30, t8 tubes, and they mention horticulture lighting and other things. I'm just guessing all of their products are high CRI like that.

It is interesting, for sure. They make a big deal about the reds. I know that's the hardest color, and anybody who really cares about CRI is tooting their horn about what they do with reds
LED based horticulture lamps are usually not fluorescent lamps as they lack phosphor blends. They use red and blue LED elements which create that weird purple hue. The idea is to deliver as much energy that is utilized by plants for the watt of power delivered. They have discrete monochromatic red and blue LED chip elements that emit at a spectrum normal blue LED pumped solid state LED lamps do not produce much of.