waveform question

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbond24

waveform.jpg

This is a waveform capture from out main switchgear that I took last year. Can anyone tell me what would cause the dimples on the peaks?

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Harmonic distortion from non linear loads?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
What the others have said, non-linear loads.

In particular, rectifier input loads have a diode followed by a capacitor. The load will only draw current when the supplied AC voltage is greater than the DC voltage in the capacitor. So instead of having a nice sinusoidal current flow, you have spikes of current which only flow right at the supply voltage peaks.

So you have this sudden surge of current flowing only at the AC peaks...this current flow causes a voltage drop on the impedance of the supply, distorting the supply voltage. Thus the dips in the supply peaks.

The above ignores a bunch of stuff, such as the impedance and inductance between the measurement point and the loads, and is just a handwaving description.

-Jon

76nemo

drbond24 said:
waveform.jpg

This is a waveform capture from out main switchgear that I took last year. Can anyone tell me what would cause the dimples on the peaks?

Hey, you can't do that on live loads:grin: Unprotected line to switchgear? Life in prison! Castration!

:roll: :grin: :cool: :grin:

drbond24

Thanks for the information gentlemen.

76nemo said:
Hey, you can't do that on live loads:grin: Unprotected line to switchgear? Life in prison! Castration!

:roll: :grin: :cool: :grin:

Oh ok. Next time I go download a waveform I'll put on a spacesuit before I plug into the port on the outside of the dead front switchgear. :grin: Wouldn't want OSHA to catch me being a nerd within 3 feet of the switchgear without proper PPE. :grin: :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.