Weather tight Fitting

Bigbri0104

Occupation
Student
Hello Everyone,

Need a little assistance with selecting the proper fitting for a PVC service mast that will be installed on top of a weatherproof trough? thoughts would be appreciated.
I'm building the trough, Meters, Disconnects etc.. thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thank you. Would a meyers hub work too? I was doing a little more research
While a common practice, some AHJs reject the conduit hubs with male PVC adapters because the conduit hubs have only been evaluated for use with the male threads of RMC.
From the UL Guide Information for "Conduit Hubs (DWTT)"
Fittings with internal female threads (e.g., hubs, conduit bodies, couplings) have only been investigated for use with threaded rigid conduit.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
While a common practice, some AHJs reject the conduit hubs with male PVC adapters because the conduit hubs have only been evaluated for use with the male threads of RMC.
From the UL Guide Information for "Conduit Hubs (DWTT)"
Correct! We beat this to death about every 2 months.
Technically it's against code but rarely enforced.

Bigbri0104

Occupation
Student
I want it to look professional. If i were to install a myers hub, first I would need to install a bonding bushing on the inside of the trough,( because this trough is for service conductors) second since a male PVC adapter is not listed to be used with the hub, I would install a close nipple, then a female PVC adapter to make compliant? Just want to be sure and make it look professional

If i were to install a male PVC adapter and flat sealing washer to ensure it to be raintight there would be fewer moving parts to the install.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I want it to look professional. If i were to install a myers hub, first I would need to install a bonding bushing on the inside of the trough,( because this trough is for service conductors) second since a male PVC adapter is not listed to be used with the hub, I would install a close nipple, then a female PVC adapter to make compliant? Just want to be sure and make it look professional

If i were to install a male PVC adapter and flat sealing washer to ensure it to be raintight there would be fewer moving parts to the install.
I would go with the latter. Seems simpler and cheaper.

kwired

Electron manager
We used sealing locknuts all the time in a dairy plant and they were pretty effective. A place where things can get washed down multiple times a day. Though they are only listed for use with RMC/IMC.