Weather/vapor proof fluorescent fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

petey_c

I'm looking to replace existing 2 light, 8' HO weather proof/vapor proof fixtures. The lenses and plastic clips are falling apart. I can't tell who manufactured the existing ones (I think the mfg name is under the ballast). Any preferences? I've looked at LDPI and AEI lighting. The lights are in a semi-underground parking garage. Thanks, pete

charlietuna

Have you considered a low bay parking garage metal halide high energy efficient fixture? Vapor proof 8 foot fixture ain't cheap. Your customer will get better service and lamp life out of the MH.

petey_c

charlietuna, Thanks for the help. Sorry it took me so long to get back. I guess I have to do a cost comparison for them. The current mess is piped all around. 8 fixtures @ $300+ per fixture (the prices I've seen on line so far) and installation costs (if I can't find the original mfgr.) vs. if I can find the mfgr. and they'll sell me the necessary parts vs. additional piping, wiring, installation, MH HE wall packs... Looks like it's time to crunch some numbers. pete

petey_c

charlietuna, The ceiling is about 10' tops. They had a contractor (?) come in and install a dropped ceiling (cheap HD stuff). He did a nice job, though I don't want to be around when it starts to mold. Birds were nesting/pooping all over the place. Most of the fixtures are wall mounted (and covered in bird turd). I'll give the bank some numbers. The worst they can say is no.... Thanks again, pete

jeremysterling

We run into this problem. The enclosures are sometimes made independently from the strip fixture inside. The enclosures are hard to match up because there is no markings on them. One solution is to buy new enclosures. The drawback is that you must completely unwire the strip, removing some conduit as well. A lot of work because of a cracked lens or missing clip!

ty

charlietuna, Thanks for the help. Sorry it took me so long to get back. I guess I have to do a cost comparison for them. The current mess is piped all around. 8 fixtures @ $300+ per fixture (the prices I've seen on line so far) and installation costs (if I can't find the original mfgr.) vs. if I can find the mfgr. and they'll sell me the necessary parts vs. additional piping, wiring, installation, MH HE wall packs... Looks like it's time to crunch some numbers. pete

Just priced (7) of them. They were just under $200 each with lamps.

I don't buy on-line.
Check with your supplier, they will most likely be less.

petey_c

ty, After my last post, I was able to find some much cheaper than $300. I'll talk to the folks at the SH tomorrow. pete

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Most of those WP flourescents that I've seen have been junk. I started opening them at supply houses to check damages and would often find damage there. I was finding severe damage opening them at jobsites. Haven't done any lately, but I had the same issues with clips falling off, cracked/broken lens covers, etc. Sometimes the ko's from shell to light didn't line up either.

Status
Not open for further replies.