Weatherhead for Fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFortie

Hello. We are designing a LV project for a local HS that requires temporary O/H runs while the ductbank is being demo'd/reconfigured. Our best (and only) option is to provide temp O/H between buildings and the thinking is to stub out of the MDF (MC) room, provide conduit across the roof to a weatherhead at the building's edge and proceed O/H from there. There are multiple buildings (8 IDFs/HCs) to be served temporarily, which means multiple fiber/copper cables.

My question is on weatherheads: the pics I see appear to show (5) openings for cables -- is this standard? And how large are these holes? We're looking at (8) fiber cables, (8) 25-pair copper, along with (8) 6C#22 for the intrusion backbone. Would that require (5) weatherheads?

Other suggestions (constructive) are welcome!

Thanks in advance.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
The phone and cable companies don't use weatherheads-- just solid anchors to building structure (or, illegally, an auxilliary anchor on the outside of a weatherhead pipe) to latch onto the support strand of their cables. Those nice, round, 'porcelain' insulators with the cable looped around them...

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I think a standard electrical weatherhead would be too tight of a radius for fiber, at least thats what they teach. I've seen AT&T loop it pretty tight though.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
How many runs of conduit and of what size are you planning on? Those eight 25pr probably will take the better part of a 4" all by themselves. I have no idea what the OD of those fibers are but with the 6 conductor 22's I would think another 4".

-Hal

cabledawg

Occupation
cable dude
If i remember correctly, that grommet for the cable is rubber and is removable, just remove the grommet and temp in the cables. but they all wont fit. And maybe a lil foam job to seal the hole!

MFortie

Think the comment about bend radius is accurate -- slipped my mind. I planned a 3" for the fiber, a 3" for 25 pair, and one more for the 6C#22.

However, after we span the from the MDF/MC building to building #2 and the cables go different directions (other different buildings), I'm directly the contractor to secure the temp cabling to the inside of building parapet (no conduit). Think I'll do the same from the MDF/MC. I'll add a note to provide a weatherproof entrance to the exterior (existing) pullboxes and leave it as a 'means & methods' solution. We're using the 'weatherhead' symbol from our electrical side on the plans, which got me thinking (too much it seems...)

Status
Not open for further replies.