Weatherproof covers in 2014 nec

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

I just talked to an inspector that said on the 2014 nec, outdoor covers for receptacles need to be heavy duty rated. Can someone point me in the correct direction of this in the code?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I think that was added in 2011

Note that 2011 says heavy duty is needed
... where installed on
an enclosure supported from grade as described in 314.23(B)
or as described in 314.23(F)

In [2014] that qualifying phrase is removed and instead 406.9(B)(1) just states
An outlet box hood installed for this purpose shall be listed and shall be identified as "extra duty.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So, heavy duty or extra duty are there, then UL listed in-use covers that do not meet this requirement ? :?

As far as I know there is no standard for extra or heavy duty weatherproof covers for the manufacturer to build their products to, so there are no listed covers for the application of that code rule.

bphgravity

Sec. 4.1.3. and 4.1.4 of ANSI/UL 514D-2000 contain construction requirements for "extra-duty" outlet box hoods. The covers identified as extra-duty are investigated to this standard and those 2 sections.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The language for extra duty outlet box hoods was in the 2008 NEC, but only for outlets supported from grade. Now the code requires all outlet covers to be extra duty type.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
As far as I know there is no standard for extra or heavy duty weatherproof covers for the manufacturer to build their products to, so there are no listed covers for the application of that code rule.
I just put one in. I could not tell it apart from the ones I used before other than the words EXTRA DUTY embossed on the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.