Welcome - Please Read First (Orig)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Welcome to this new topic series. We want to encourage anyone planning to make a formal Proposal to the 2008 NEC to post it here. It may seem a long way off but the cut-off date for proposals is less than a year away. Many of us will not even be operating under the 2005 edition by then.

First, making a proposal is fairly simple. The NFPA has provided all that is needed at this web page. Look in the upper right hand for forms and instructions.

Second, posting here will hopefully get a full range of practical comments supporting, opposing or clarifying your proposal. Ultimately it should help make a stronger proposal.

Finally, all of the other values / principals of the Forum apply here; however, opinions are more welcome than ever assuming we all desire "...the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity. "

For our forum, I suggest using the following simplified format for each new topic item introduced:

1.) NEC Section/Paragraph:
2.) Proposal Recommends: [new text/revised text/deleted text (pick one)]
3.) Proposal: [Include old text, if applicable, and then proposed new or revised wording]
4.) Substantiation: [State the problem that will be resolved by your recommendation. (Why is it a problem? How will your proposal solve it?) Be as specific as possible.]

For those responding, if you recognize a coordination issue, please raise that as well as any other comments you may have.

[ June 28, 2005, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: rbalex ]

bill addiss

Re: Welcome - Please Read First

Bob, (rbalex)

Welcome as a New Moderator at MHE.
I'm sure this area will get some good use!

Ryan,

Good idea. - Done!

:)
Bill

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Congratulations Bob, I agree that this will be a nice addition. BTW, you can't make me put a seat belt on my 67 FLH :D

Roger

ryan_618

I just realized that it might be a good idea to re-name this area as "proposals for the 2008" instead of "changes for the 2008", so just so a casual user doesn't get the wrong idea.

bill addiss

I just realized that it might be a good idea to re-name this area as "proposals for the 2008" instead of "changes for the 2008", so just so a casual user doesn't get the wrong idea.
Ryan,

Good idea, I just passed it on.

Bill

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by roger:
Congratulations Bob, I agree that this will be a nice addition. BTW, you can't make me put a seat belt on my 67 FLH :D

Roger
Thanks,

Of course you're right - I can't. :D

ddderek

In all the discussions there have been regarding the use of portable generators for home back up, I think there needs to be some serious thought given to clarifying the NEC in this area and to further push for more options from Genrator, Transfer Panel, and other suppliers.

When looking at installing back up for a friend it has come to my attention that there are no transfer panels sold in the USA that switch the neutral. Although everyone seems to agree it needs to be switched.

Canada has apparently made this clear and Siemans offers one that does just that in Canada but is not UL listsed or approved for use in the USA. Further code regulation would ensure the manufacturers come along and get everyone installing these in a safe way.

I guarantee you, form my conversations on this topic, 90% of the setups installed in the USA are bonding the Neutral at both the gen and service, in violation of the code. Because of lack of knowledge, industry standards, and code clarity. In fact I found an owners manual for a Generator that expressly showed you how to hook up their bonded neutral Generator to a two pole transfer switch with absolutely no mention of the need to switch the neutral and diagrams showing that they were not switching the neutral!
(I wrote them and they have yet to write me back...)

I don't know what the wording or change should be, but would like to hear some brainstorming on the topic and would be willing to submit the change myself or along with others if a practicle change can be agreed to here.

Thanks in advance for your input.

romeo

ddderek, You are very correct. I find that many electricians are confused about bonding the neutral of generators and are bonding at both the service and generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.