Welder Hook Up

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Anyone familair witrh hooking these up for temp? Only need power from panel to unit? Can use romex? If these get moved around would the romex be a problem with slack, damage etc.?

1729683449838.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Typically they have a cord and plug. On the job the contractor using the welder provides a temp drop that gets installed in a panel. Often these units can be set up for different voltages (208 and 480) and single or three phase. The cord and plug with match how the unit it set up.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Typically they have a cord and plug. On the job the contractor using the welder provides a temp drop that gets installed in a panel. Often these units can be set up for different voltages (208 and 480) and single or three phase. The cord and plug with match how the unit it set up.
Ok so I am clear.

1. welder provides temp drop that goes from panel to cord and plug on unit?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ok so I am clear.

1. welder provides temp drop that goes from panel to cord and plug on unit?
Typically the drop has a receptacle on it. (Sometimes the unit has just a cord that is hardwired directly to a panel). This ensures that the electrician just has to match the receptacle configuration to the voltage and number of phases. It also means that when the welding machine shows up on site it can be plugged right in and the welder can immediately start welding.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I was reading NEC 404 the other day, and it seems to me without looking that for a temporary installation with SO cord, a plug is required. The Welder also requires a disconnecting means per the NEC period. Also there is always the standard "subject to damage" clause for anything. So it depends on what the customer wants to pay for. In most construction cases the "customer" is either the welder company or the GC. The likely best economical solution is a centrally located outlet with a receptacle and the welder provides his own extension cord length as needed.

About a minute or so of searching got me the text "Six-foot power cable included." and another minute in the manual shows that it does come will a cable but not a plug (that's in the installation section).

With questions like this always start with the mfg's install instructions.

MTW

I use an older Miller model XMT 300 inverter welder that has auto switching between 200-480V. I use SO cable and 480V Pin and sleeve connectors on the supply cables. A short chord on the welder, and a longer extension cable, then another short whip with a mesh grip to connect to a local panel or disconnect as required, for the different site locations.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Many years ago I did some millwright work..(late80s)
We had a small Miller stick welder like this. We had 25' of SO cable from the welder to bare wires on the end.
That way we could connect it to any voltage in any box. Be it panel, junction box, motor controller, anywhere we could wire nut in a box.
Worked great.
Won’t get by with that now.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since he's asking about temporary welder hook ups for construction you probably will see things that are less than code compliant like the cord run behind the panel cover. Sometimes these connections may only be used for a day or two so the electricians tend to get creative. I can remember paralleling 4 single pole 20 amp breakers to get a two pole 40.

kwired

Electron manager
a centrally located outlet with a receptacle and the welder provides his own extension cord length as needed.
Most of them have plenty of extensions if they need them, if welding is something they do on a pretty regular basis.

Depending on the site and other circumstances, should there be some heavy enough circuit that is not currently in use it could be possible to temporarily use it even if minor modifications are necessary for short term.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Most of them have plenty of extensions if they need them, if welding is something they do on a pretty regular basis.

Depending on the site and other circumstances, should there be some heavy enough circuit that is not currently in use it could be possible to temporarily use it even if minor modifications are necessary for short term.
Yes, that is why I suggested. Often the welder uses a generator so extension cords are a necessary tool they generally carry.