Welder Overcurrent Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoe

I have a client who has standardized on using 60A, 480V, 3-phase receptacles and plugs for all their welding units. These are wired 60 amps back to a 60/3 breaker.

If the welder is a smaller unit (i.e. less than 30 amps max input current), are they at risk of violating 630.12 (200% I1max) or am I not understanding this part of the code?

I've seen many set ups in manufacturing where they will do this type of thing and string multiple welding receptacles on a single 60 amp circuit.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Do the welders already have a cord and plug connected when they are bought? If so, are they cutting off the cord and installing different plugs?

Steve

Shoe

Yes, they are installing their own plug on the welder compatible with their universal outlet.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
In my opinion, if they are cutting a plug off the welder so they can install a higher amp plug, that's a violation of the listing of the listing of the welder (the UL listing, for example).

If a welder came with a 20 amp plug, for example, and they made an adapter by putting a 20A receptacle on a cord with a 60a plug on the other end, that would also be a violation sinice 20 amp receptacles are only allowed on 15 or 20 amp branch circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.