Welding Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

templdl

Re: Welding Cable

Is the cable UL listed amd included in the NEC?
Also, you will have difficulty terminating said cable as standard terminal are not listed for anything other than builders cable, solid, 7, 19, strand etc.
I don't have my cable resourse book available at this time so I can't be more specific.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Welding cable, even that that?is rated for 600 volts, says in the listing that it is not suitable for electrical power uses. That being said, it is often used for that purpose. There is at least one manufacture that has its welding cable listed as both welding cable and RHW making it suitable for use in power systems. As suggested in the previous post, this fine stranded cable must be used with suitable terminations, most often compression connectors.
Don

benaround

I've seen it used on the factory side (line) in generators. emg. and stand-by, I wonder if it is rated for these conditions?

templdl

If tested and approved and listed by UL as an assembly then it may be possible to see it used on UL listed generator assemblies. If not part of a UL listed assembly the AHJ most likely will have something to say about it as part of his inspection.

james wuebker

I agree with Don
A lot of our machines use this type of cable just in the main area . Yes we have to use special crimp connectors on these.
Jim

dereckbc

Staff member

I support Don's comments. I use a lot of this cable in the telephone industry on open cable racks. As long as it is dual listed it can be used.

I will add there is more than one manufacturer for it, I know of four. Most of what I use is dual listed with two of the three listings; diesel locomotive/welding/RHH-RHW-2-LS. (RHW is the key listing to for building power cable).

As mentioned termination is critical and only UL approved compression connector with approved crimp tools should be used to terminate the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.