Welding Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sr. Engineer

In several of our plant areas welding cable from the welding machine to the work area is left laying out all the time. Is there anything in the NEC or other code that determines if welding cable must be in conduit. In serveral areas the welding cable has been ty-rapped to beams, etc to keep it off the floor. I am looking for something in the NEC or other code that would require the welding cable to be installed in conduit. If it is in conduit how do you then determine the ampacity rating and required conduit side?

iwire

Staff member
In several of our plant areas welding cable from the welding machine to the work area is left laying out all the time. Is there anything in the NEC or other code that determines if welding cable must be in conduit. In serveral areas the welding cable has been ty-rapped to beams, etc to keep it off the floor. I am looking for something in the NEC or other code that would require the welding cable to be installed in conduit. If it is in conduit how do you then determine the ampacity rating and required conduit side?

See Part IV of Article 630.

benaround

Sr.

The NEC applies to the wiring to the welder, the secondary side cables 'could' be covered

in the manafactures instruction booklet.

iwire

Staff member
If the OP would like to install the Welding Cables in a dedicated cable tray, he shall be

permitted to do so, per, 630.42.

I know this is what you are waiting for !!

What I was trying to point out is the NEC does address the secondary leads of welders. Both the use of cable tray and how the cable can be supported to the building without cable tray. :smile:

In general you can not install flexible cord in conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.