Well Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you guys tell me what section of the NEC code deals with sub-breakers on circuits (i.e. a well circuit)? We have a residence that has the well circuit wired in directly to the meter socket 200 amp disconnect - and I believe this is a violation of the code but can not find it. Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How is this "wired in directly to the meter socket 200 amp disconnect". Do you have any photo's?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
As Infinity mentioned a photo would clear this up for us. Need to know if its wired inside the meter socket, or comes off the disconnect on the load side of the disconnect, need to know were the wires to the well pump land

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Doubling up wires under a lug is supposedly not allowed but done frequently by well drillers/ pump installers. Other than that, it could be considered an outside tap. It would have to terminate in a properly done disconnect, but again, good luck. We see so much of it that unless we have to touch it, it's ignored. Doesn't make it right though.

oldsparky52

Doubling up wires under a lug is supposedly not allowed but done frequently by well drillers/ pump installers. Other than that, it could be considered an outside tap. It would have to terminate in a properly done disconnect, but again, good luck. We see so much of it that unless we have to touch it, it's ignored. Doesn't make it right though.
What do you mean my pump is wired wrong! It's been fine for years!

Thanks for all the input - we really appreciate it. I am attaching a picture to help the confusion. The ink pen is pointing to where they are doubling up on the load side of the main.

The trouble we have is that the 200 amp main will not always trip on pump fault and then the homeowner claims damages from us.

Attachments

• metersocketIMG_2238.jpg
    metersocketIMG_2238.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 44

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
"Doubling up" under the lug your pen points to would not be to Code. Connecting another conductor to one of the spare connection points would be allowed but the conductor must be within the acceptable size range for the lug.
In addition, anything smaller than a 3/0 CU or 4/0 AL would need to meet the 240.21 tap rules and supply an overcurrent device which would also have to be sized to provide proper protection for the well pump. Connecting the wiring for a well pump directly to the point you show would b e a violation of a whole host of Code sections.

Augie47 - Thanks for your reply. We were wanting to reference a code with the data sheet that we hand to the consumers when the come in to sign up for electric service. So they can give it to their well drillers. Which code section would best fit that, in your opinion?

kwired

Electron manager
Termination method is wrong if doubled up with another conductor. Other than that you are creating an outside feeder tap which is legal. You do have appropriate overcurrent device at load end of this conductor?

kwired

Electron manager
"Doubling up" under the lug your pen points to would not be to Code. Connecting another conductor to one of the spare connection points would be allowed but the conductor must be within the acceptable size range for the lug.
In addition, anything smaller than a 3/0 CU or 4/0 AL would need to meet the 240.21 tap rules and supply an overcurrent device which would also have to be sized to provide proper protection for the well pump. Connecting the wiring for a well pump directly to the point you show would b e a violation of a whole host of Code sections.
What looks like a spare is probably used up by a bus link to the breaker in that image.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Good eye (or old eye in my case). In believe you are correct and, if so, there is no place for him to directly connect a tap to another OCP device. Perhaos a Polaris tap ?

Status
Not open for further replies.