well light ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a well light and it is in water from the drainage. Will this hurt the ballast and shorten the life of use of it. and what are the dangers of it even though everthing is rated for outdoors. what can i do to keep water from coming up threw the bottom of the well fixture.

Re: well light ballast

It is a light you put inside the ground. It is flush with the grade. If you did not know that, then what kind of electrician are you.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Christopher, you are new here, so before you get defensive try answering the questions in a civil tone.

For all you know the person asking you a question may be an industrial electrician dealing with MV and HV installations and may not of ever installed a well light.

I don't think Tom's questions to you were out of line.

You want to try again with your answer to Tom?

Roger

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

I have been seeing some DIYer postings as "electricians". There was no other way to ask, next time I'll send a PM.
And water will damage the ballast.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Christopher,

Is this a luminaire that is designed and intended to be mounted flush with the grade?
Might the unit be rated for submersion like those found in ponds?

Tom, sorry about that. Thank you guys for your help. Thank you Roger for the input on the comment. I am really not sure about the ballast being rated for that, but I will check tomorrow. The unit is meant for ground level installation.

Of course, the ballast sits at the bottom of the well. The light sits flush with ground. Whoever installed the light was supposed to put 6 to 8 inches of pea gravel at the bottom for the drainage but they did not do it. That is why I was thinking that the ballast was not rated for that. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.