West Virginia journeyman license

Dh3260

Occupation
Electrician
Was wondering if anyone has recently taken the test in West Virginia and was hoping for some pointers. Thanks

CLESparky

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I passed the WV Journeyman last spring. It was pretty straight forward, know how to use your code book to look things up and you'll do fine. The answers read verbatim as they are written in the code book.

I went through everything I knew first, if I was 50/50 on a question or wasn't sure at all I put a little hash mark next to the number on my santron sheet. Once I answered everything I knew I went back and looked up the questions I had flagged. The calculations change depending on which test you have, but I had box fill, pipe fill, ohms law, and the square root of three phase. You have to show your work on all calculations. I tested in Wheeling at the ice arena, but I had heard they aren't testing there anymore. I'm studying for my Masters now.

Dh3260

Occupation
Electrician
I passed the WV Journeyman last spring. It was pretty straight forward, know how to use your code book to look things up and you'll do fine. The answers read verbatim as they are written in the code book.

I went through everything I knew first, if I was 50/50 on a question or wasn't sure at all I put a little hash mark next to the number on my santron sheet. Once I answered everything I knew I went back and looked up the questions I had flagged. The calculations change depending on which test you have, but I had box fill, pipe fill, ohms law, and the square root of three phase. You have to show your work on all calculations. I tested in Wheeling at the ice arena, but I had heard they aren't testing there anymore. I'm studying for my Masters now.
Did it take you the full 4 hrs to complete? Did they allow highlights and underlines in your code book? Was gonna call them today and ask

CLESparky

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Did it take you the full 4 hrs to complete? Did they allow highlights and underlines in your code book? Was gonna call them today and ask
I went back through some of my answers after I was done, and I had about 30 minutes of the 4hrs left even after going over my answers.

I have the post-it tabs all over my book, but I personally didn't highlight. I did have stuff in my Ugly's that was underlined, but I can't answer for sure if it is "allowed" per say.

Occupation
Residential Service Electrician
I took my Journeyman test in 2020 and I was not the sharpest tool in the shed when it came to test taking and still made an 86. As long as you have a key word index and tabs in your code book you’re fine. If I remember they told us no notes or examples written in any of your books but high lighting and underlining should be fine. One of my classmates wrote all in the test books when he was taking the exam and the fire marshal about had a heart attack so avoid that if at all possible lol