Wet aluminum wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

giovanni0502

Riddle me this: why is it that when a seal goes bad on an overhead service and wire enters the SE cable, why does the aluminum grounded conductor in the meter base oxidize, corrode, and break apart but the termination at the weather head which is exposed to rain, snow, etc. hardly ever corrodes?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Riddle me this: why is it that when a seal goes bad on an overhead service and wire enters the SE cable, why does the aluminum grounded conductor in the meter base oxidize, corrode, and break apart but the termination at the weather head which is exposed to rain, snow, etc. hardly ever corrodes?????

Probably because the power company made a better connection than the electrician did.

JAP>

giovanni0502

The electricians do the utility hook up here. I thought maybe galvanic corrosion but both ends have metal involved. Plus the corrosion is always the worst where the SE jacket is removed up by the hub of the meter base.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Water in the jacket oozes onto the meter lugs over time-- the connections in the air dry out faster??

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Water in the jacket oozes onto the meter lugs over time-- the connections in the air dry out faster??
:thumbsup: Water will tend to wick down that stranding, its worse with the old non-compact conductors.
A lineman I used to work with would always take a slice out of the neutral insulation at the bottom of the drip loop, because he said that would tend to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.