wet or damp location

Status
Not open for further replies.

billygoat22

working on a take off for boss to do est with for light commercial job.

its a public bathhouse/bathroom for a state park. there are individual shower rooms and the regular multi booth bathrooms.

Where in code is wet/dry location for public facilities covered? The prints don't have a lot of info, but I've found that the wiring is to be run in wall cavities (2x4) construction. The exterior and some interior walls are block.

I'm under the impression that a block wall exposed in a bathroom would not be dry location (in cores), period. damp or wet. They have wet location light fixtures specd, no light switch or outlet types specd. and electric heaters in each shower.

So now I'm looking to see what is classificed wet,damp or dry to figure if need emt or mc cable.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
working on a take off for boss to do est with for light commercial job.

its a public bathhouse/bathroom for a state park. there are individual shower rooms and the regular multi booth bathrooms.

Where in code is wet/dry location for public facilities covered? The prints don't have a lot of info, but I've found that the wiring is to be run in wall cavities (2x4) construction. The exterior and some interior walls are block.

I'm under the impression that a block wall exposed in a bathroom would not be dry location (in cores), period. damp or wet. They have wet location light fixtures specd, no light switch or outlet types specd. and electric heaters in each shower.

So now I'm looking to see what is classificed wet,damp or dry to figure if need emt or mc cable.
art. 100 definitions is where to look. I would not consider inside a block wall a damp location even in a bathroom.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
art. 100 definitions is where to look. I would not consider inside a block wall a damp location even in a bathroom.
I am of the impression that inside any masonry wall subject to water spray or wash down is considered a damp location, at least that should be the initial assessment lacking any other detail. The detail that could change that assessment depends on the wall's surface treatment. For example, inside a bare block wall subjected to external water spray easily becomes a damp location... whereas a wall treated with waterproofing material could easily make it a dry location.

iwire

Staff member
Crazy talk, :p nothing in the OPs description sounds wet or damp to me.

As far as the block, you know it will have a finish of some sort blocking moisture, paint, tile .... something.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Crazy talk, :p nothing in the OPs description sounds wet or damp to me.

As far as the block, you know it will have a finish of some sort blocking moisture, paint, tile .... something.
No, I don't know. A reasonable assumption, but an assumption nonetheless. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.